Where can I listen to headphones in New York City?
Jun 17, 2008 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

davidhunternyc

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello everyone,
I am new to the headphone hobby and I am looking for a great pair of full-sized headphones. I live in New York City and I would like to audition as many headphones as possible. Are there gatherings or meets that I can go to? Are there audiophile stores that carry an extensive line of headphones? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
David

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 8
There, or J&R Electronics, but i don't know if you can listen to them there or not. They have great prices though!

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 8
Go to Sound by Singer ( Sound by Singer High End Audio | High End Video ) at 16th Street between 5th Avenue and Broadway. They have Grado's from SR60 - RS1 when I went to audition. Good thing is they allow you to bring your own CD's and they also have lot of CD's which you can pick, and you can audition them on a very good Arcam CD player and a $1000 headphone amplifier.

J & R have all the Grado's and few other headphones but they sound very bad because of the stupid source. They have these headphones fixed to a wall where you cannot judge anything about the headphones with that sound. You can't even increase the volume.

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #5 of 8
Ooh, that's weak...

Jun 18, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMavs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Next time I'm in NYC Audio Cubes (AudioCubes.com - Japan's Best Kept Secrets, Delivered.) at 69 E. 8th Street is on my short list of places to visit. I'd suggest starting there as it sounds like they stock a wide variety of headphones and have them out allowing you to listen.

Do a search and you should be able to find some threads about them...

FWIW, Audio Cubes is a forum sponsor as well...

Give this store a call and ask them if they have a listening station for headphones:

B & H Pro Video / Audio
420 Ninth Avenue
New York, NY 10001
Area Code (212) 502-6360

Another place you might want to check is:

Guitar Center Manhattan
25 W. 14th Street
New York, NY 10011
Area Code (212) 463-7500

If they don't have one check out their Paramus, New Jersey store:

Guitar Center Paramus
154 West State Route 4 (eastbound)
Paramus, New Jersey 07652
Area Code (201) 845-9200

Good luck!

Jun 18, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #8 of 8
J&R has great prices but their listening station sucks. You can't bring your own music and all the headphones are playing from the same source all at the same time. If you need to go to J&R do your research first. They also will price match if you find a better price from another legit store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back