Where can I go buy Grados...now?
Mar 6, 2006 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Nrbelex

Head-Fier
Hi - It's 3:30 here in Westchester, NY and I wanna go out and buy SR-80s before the stores close. Any advice before I go and where should I go!? Quick responses appreciated.

~ Brett

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
A quick trip to Brooklyn and you can get them from the source.

I considered it but its over an hour drive and they'll probaly be closed. Plus I might try a few other brands while at the store (just to convince myself the Grados are right for me).

~ Brett

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 14
The hour trip would be worth it, call them up to see when they close, bring a portable media player to listen on the way home, and there is more than likely a return policy.

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
A quick trip to Brooklyn and you can get them from the source.

They don't sell them there. They just make them... you'll have to find a reseller, which there are no shortage of in NYC. Sound by Singer comes to mind, they're located on 16th I think, between 5th and 6th in Manhattan.

Mar 7, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 14
It's now 1:10 P.M. the next day but the question still stands. I'm looking for a Grado dealership in Westchester, NY but going into NYC is out of the question. I wanna run out and get them today so quick responses are greatly appreciated!

~ Brett

Mar 7, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #8 of 14
I have some SR-80s and I love em. I got them as an introduction to Grados instead of the SR-60s becuase they apparantly offer a bit more bass. My first hi-fi headphones where the beyer dt990s I had bought a month before and liked the comfort. So I now have c-pads on the grados:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ghlight=c-pads

I know purchasing a $100 modification for a $95 product doesn't seem like the right move. But I have all intentions to migrate the c-pads to SR-225s (leaning towards 225s for my next choice over 325i's)

Go for the SR-80s...I think they are a good intro choice.

Mar 7, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by megawzrd
I have some SR-80s and I love em. I got them as an introduction to Grados instead of the SR-60s becuase they apparantly offer a bit more bass. My first hi-fi headphones where the beyer dt990s I had bought a month before and liked the comfort. So I now have c-pads on the grados:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ghlight=c-pads

I know purchasing a $100 modification for a $95 product doesn't seem like the right move. But I have all intentions to migrate the c-pads to SR-225s (leaning towards 225s for my next choice over 325i's)

Go for the SR-80s...I think they are a good intro choice.

Uggggh - things are getting a little confusing now. There are three options from what I can tell.

- SR60s - I can get better price than $69 and no shipping + rave reviews

- SR80s - I'm actually not sure they have these and I dunno if I'm willing to spend the $ for what I've read is essentially a negligable difference between the 60s.

- SR125 (used) - $99 which I think is a good deal but I'm not gonna be using anything special to listen to my music. It's either coming from an iPod (MP3s at no less than 162 kbps - mostly 320) or my computer (from which I can hear hissing with headphones plugged in and no music playing)

I really don't have disposable cash so I'm really inclined to go with the 60s. I don't usually get upgraditis too quick (these are simply to complement my e2cs and my three year old iPod). Thanks for the help!

~ Brett

Mar 8, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #10 of 14
How about MS-1s?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #12 of 14
I say head down to that toys place, buy those SR60s, and be happy!

Mar 8, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #13 of 14
For those in New York City, there are these other places to buy Grados.

Harvey's
2 West 45th Street
They should have the full Grado line but only in the boxes.

Park Avenue Audio
425 Park Avenue South at 29th Street
They only sell the Grado line but you can listen to them.

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #14 of 14
when i tried out the grado's i found the 60's to sound louder than the 80's (at the same volume setting, perhaps it was just the demo pair (or maybe a slight resistance difference between the two models). But this made me opt for the 60's since i was going to be using them on my ipod and i didn't have much power to play with. I'm sure the 80's are better but if you looking for cheap phones then why go past the 60's.

orfeo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back