where can i get small powerful batterys??
Feb 6, 2005 at 7:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Cmoyamphelp

Head-Fier
okay i am looking for somthing to give me good power (10V+) and like the size a 9 volt if possibeal i have look every where on the net for companys that make one

Feb 6, 2005 at 9:24 AM Post #2 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cmoyamphelp
okay i am looking for somthing to give me good power (10V+) and like the size a 9 volt if possibeal i have look every where on the net for companys that make one

your best bet would be to get a 2x or 4x AA setup with a stepup circuit for 10v..

Feb 6, 2005 at 10:58 AM Post #3 of 36
If I understand your question correctly, you want a battery or batterypack that will make 10v or more, in the size of a single standard 9V battery, right?

The highest power density batteries readily available are using Lithium technology...look for #2032 wafer lithium batteries...stack four of them together, and then parallel another four, mount them together, and you will have around 11V source, but it will not last long with high current drain, and will cost a lot to replace...

for higher voltages, use #2016 batteries, and stack them up till you get the voltage you want, and parallel another set (or two) till you get the current you need. This will make you a favorite customer of wherever you buy your batteries. You will soon find another job or hobby, unless you own stock in M$ or such...

Feb 6, 2005 at 11:02 AM Post #4 of 36
there are 9.6V NiMHs with the 9V formfactor. I believe plainviews are like this.

Feb 6, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #5 of 36
If your amp isn't at least half battery by volume, rethink your design. It's a common misconception that "amp" is short for amplifier. They're actually named after what they eat.
rolleyes.gif

Spelunk around in the Thomas Distributing site, they seem to always be with the lead runners.

To get size information on all the possibilities, check out Powerstream. Note that the most competitive markets get the best mAh capacities by size, and those would be the sizes you already know, e.g. AA.

RadioShack makes the smallest 4 x AAA plastic holder. They make their own, and here the impulse to be cheap works out wonderfully. The difference just bumps the entire rest of the field out of the Hammond J series cases.

If the 9V form factor doesn't do it for you, you can also learn how to solder your own NiMH battery packs, to fit exactly into your case and to save the density loss from plastic holders. Get tabbed cells, the others shouldn't really be soldered. Crayton Electronics has tabbed 750 mAh AAAs for $0.69, best price I've seen. I gave up on this idea so I could sell or give away my amps, no one but you will be able to replace such a battery pack when it dies.

One can also buy battery packs, e.g. check out BatterySpace. Same point, I wouldn't count on being able to replace such a pack years later.

If you compute power/volume ratios, you'll find that AAs outclass AAAs outclass 9V, by substantial margins. You could learn to surface mount solder and etch your own boards, and design a boost regulator that runs off a pair of AAs. Some amps do this; noise is a concern to control.

Feb 6, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy
The highest power density batteries readily available are using Lithium technology

What about rechargable Lithiums? The NiMh rechargable circut is very simple, and I believe that the Lithiums require a lot more. For example if you run them dry, they're ruined.

Anyone know if the cost, complexity are worth the performance gain?

Feb 6, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by __redruM
What about rechargable Lithiums?

I looked into this, and stopped reading when I got to "possibility of explosion". I realize the risk peaks while charging, not while in use, but this got my attention.

I fly a lot. Not taking the plane down is surely the preferred outcome, but try explaining that to someone who gets taken off in handcuffs after the plane manages to land. I'll stick to NiMH.

Feb 6, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #11 of 36
What exactly is the requirement for >10V?

The only batteries that will output more than that in a 9V size will be very low mAh rating. The plainview NiMH @ 9.6V will have about 200-300 mAh. Now, that's not much playing time through an amp unless it's a very efficient CMoy or something: which will give you about 20 hrs.

Getting more playing time than that or putting them in a less efficient amp will mean calling for exotic batteries. There are some polymer based ones now that have quite high energy densities, and are safer than Li-Ion:

http://www.ulbi.com/product-display.asp?ID=39

But will cost you an arm + leg.

Feb 6, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #12 of 36
You can get lithium polymer packs of 11.1V and 340mAH that are just slightly larger than a 9V. As mentioned above, overcharging can (and has) caused serious fires. If you were to use these, a professionally made charger is a must.

Feb 6, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #13 of 36
If overcharged, Li-Ion batteries can explode rather spectacularly. I had a cell phone self-destruct in this manner once (yes, there was something seriously wrong with it). Scared me to tears... I was only a few feet away. @.@

I'll be happy with 9V-formfactor NiMHs, kthnx. =P

And about plainviews, ask Jahn where he got his. I don't recall the name of the place.

Feb 7, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syzygies
I looked into this, and stopped reading when I got to "possibility of explosion".

"Possibility of explosion" is a standard battery warning, it's not limited to Lithium based cells.

BTW- Most highend consumer portables now use lithium based batteries. Cell phones, camcorders, ipods. Are there regulations against charging an ipod on international flights?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back