Where can I get more info on vintage sony pcdp?
Mar 28, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #16 of 19
I would say run to the hills with your new found tune extractor!!!

As the sickness only grows, and the possession will soon overcome you..
basshead.gif

Just kidding, but not really.
eek.gif

If you are using the unit with an outboard amp, or with the Line out -
here are some good ones to start looking for when you pawn it..D-303,D-515,D-311,D-25, and the D-555..although you will find 30 billion people whom will swear their sanity away for the D-555/D-Z555, this unit is overrated imo, and not as good out the line out as the 303/515 is (all have gold plated line outs)
Congrats on your new toy/cool score!!

Mar 28, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #17 of 19
I also suggest the D-335, personally. I do have one up for sale, but they can be found elsewhere as well. The D-303 and D-335 are good for different things, but the 335 has some pretty mighty instrument articulation that I find just lovely for live recordings and prog rock/metal. The 303 is warmer and has a more substantial feel to its sound, but sometimes things can get muddled in it that don't on the 335. The 465 is also a good choice. It's brighter than the 335 but not as detailed and less articulation, as well as a narrower soundstage. Still, it's a pretty respectable performer.

Mar 28, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Are you talking line-out, headphone-out, or both?

A few days ago I compared my D-33 line out to the Rotel RCD-855, using the same amp. Except for some grain in the lower treble with the D-33 (which is unfortunately a deal-killer) I think I'd rather listen to the D-33 than the Rotel. Dunno if it's just a euphonic thing or what, but IMO it beats the Rotel in some ways!
eek.gif
In particular, D-33 seems to have bass nailed, while the Rotel can be too light in that department. They both seem similar in the refinement department, but I'm having trouble deciding exactly what 'refinement' is anyway, or if it's even desirable (is it a coloration of some sort? Or lack thereof?).

I'm talking about both, although the differences are particularly noticeable through HP out, where the D-35 has IMO one of the most pleasant HP outs of the Sonys I've used. AFAIK the D-35 has some internal advantages (chipset) over the D-33; both are 'dual 16 bit DAC' but maybe the filter on the D-35 is better or the DAC...or both. The 35 is really nice, although the 335's rather unique sound probably catches my fancy more, and I think it's probably my favourite Sony...although, I'm apparently in the minority there :p

Mar 28, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #19 of 19
"I'm talking about both, although the differences are particularly noticeable through HP out, where the D-35 has IMO one of the most pleasant HP outs of the Sonys I've used. AFAIK the D-35 has some internal advantages (chipset) over the D-33; both are 'dual 16 bit DAC' but maybe the filter on the D-35 is better or the DAC...or both. The 35 is really nice, although the 335's rather unique sound probably catches my fancy more, and I think it's probably my favourite Sony...although, I'm apparently in the minority there :p"

Filburt,
I agree totally with your statements , and can apply this same logic on the line out bt the the 303 and 35/350 unit...where certain live recordings, or complex rock and roll (think thick as a brick) can become more "ambient" or "emotional", some call it overly dark...or pronounced in the low end using the 303.

It is that same extra oomph you can hear or compare when listening to the jury on the WALL (pink f) when the second chorus comes in with the lyrics "craaaazy" and the orchestra or bass drum sounds (which that deep or pronounced of a bass hit is the only place on that whole set the exibits this, the D-303 nails this and it is like you are in the middle of the chorus and looking around for the bass drum somewhere, every other portable does not hit this as accurate)

But as you said, this trait is more of an advantage pending the source material you are listening to..I think that the line out on the D-515 is just a articulate in the mid range as the D-303, but not as "emotional" or bassy, so it becomes less muddied on certain live and rock recordings...much the same way you related the D-35/D-350's sound out the line out to D-303..where as the mid range on the D-35/D-350 I find to be pleasant but not as smooth, and the highs a bit more synthetic, as compared to the D-515 or the D-303..(or for the highs the D-25 and D-15 for that matter)

I was not speaking to Headphone output, and my models that I suggested were for the Line out sq...although the D-25's HP out is AMAZING!! check ebay, I have one ending here in a few hours that somehow has no bids, but 108 watchers??

for this type of music, I still side on the 303's "emotional" thump that it provides to the bass, often immitating or imaging the effects of true bass in live perf, where it does muddy slightly because of sound and physics.

What you stated on the D-35/D-350 and how it is more accurate is true and that unit has nine zillion buttons, which ROCKS!!! It also as you menitoned has an outstanding line out AND headphone out, not many Sony portables, legendary or non, can live up to this feat..
who loves the cans. I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back