Where can I get an iPod dock with.........
Jun 25, 2007 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

spaceman

Headphoneus Supremus
a constant line out (not variable) and charging capabilities? I'm not concerned with synching. This will be used on the nightstand going to my H5, so RCA would be nice as well. Thanks.

Jun 26, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 11
I may be wrong, but AFAIK the 5.5 doesn't have a constant LO. The volume control still...well...controls the volume, whether using the HP or LO. I don't have a 5th gen to check out (I only have 4th gen), but this is what I read at various places on the internet.

The only way I know to change it to a fixed LO is to get it iModed. Otherwise, there should be a lot of docks with a USB connection in addition to the LO. Just get a USB power converter (like the kind that came with the 4th Gen iPod).

Jun 26, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but is this a true line out (and not the variable/questionable kind) ?

I believe it is the same as the CTA dock I just recieved. I plugged the dock into speakers and then plugged the ipod into the dock. I then changed the iPod's volume, up full and down to zero, and it didn't affect the speaker volume at all. So if that is the definition of constant volume then yes.

iPod 4g 20gb.

Jun 26, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by whistler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe it is the same as the CTA dock I just recieved. I plugged the dock into speakers and then plugged the ipod into the dock. I then changed the iPod's volume, up full and down to zero, and it didn't affect the speaker volume at all. So if that is the definition of constant volume then yes.

iPod 4g 20gb.

I use a Belkin FM transmitter in my car which is not affected by any volume change also. Constant volume always ...

Jun 26, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #8 of 11
I tried the griffin tunecenter for a few weeks and was unimpressed. It didn't sound great, had variable volume and poor remote response. The apple universal dock, while still having variable out, sounds much better. Anyone have any other suggestions? I'm still trying to find a good dock as well.

Jun 26, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #9 of 11
Anyone know if there is an affect on SQ with a mini to RCA, opposed to RCA to RCA?

Jun 26, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by whistler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

iPod 4g 20gb.

The 4g does have a constant line out (I own the photo version). I'm pretty sure the 5.5g that the OP has does not have a constant line output through the dock connection (or any other connection) as stock, and will be controlled through the volume control on the player in spite of the dock used.
This is based on the player, not the dock. Every dock used on a 4th gen will give constant line out volume.

I just don't want the OP to be set up for disappointment.

ALO docks seem to have a dedicated following on the forum in general (I haven't used/heard any of his products though).

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #11 of 11
i use the universal apple doc with the line going to my cambridge
soundworks 740 on my nightstand works great and the usb mini
adapter charger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back