Where can I find really cool looking switches (and knobs)?
Sep 7, 2006 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

DrJon

100+ Head-Fier
I'll probably be building myself an RCA switch box. One input and two outputs. Or vice versa. Or some similar things. I'll probably make the box out of some nice wood like cherry. The plan is almost complete. Except that I need switches that look really cool. Pretty enough to be atop a nice cherry box. Double throw and double pull, in this case. And I'm looking for some nice knobs (metal or wood) for an amp. So where can I get some nice things like these? Thanks.

Sep 7, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #2 of 19
A look at the Big list of links at the top of the page will help alot. Good hunting...

Sep 7, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #3 of 19
DrJon,

One thing to keep in mind when building a wood enclosure is that most of the electronics parts that you're going to be dealing with are meant to be mounted in thin metal panels. Generally they will not accommodate anthing thicker than say 3/16" or so. What this means is that you'll either have to use thin veneer for the panel on your box or use a router to remove enough material from the inside of a thicker panel. Typically I've done used the router method as I don't like working with thin veneer but that's just me.

As far as parts sources for switches and knobs you're pretty much on your own with google. There isn't a great selection of either (unless you want to spend serious $$$) outside of DigiKey, Mouser and the other common parts houses. Have a look at THL Audio's knobs although I haven't been hearing good things about their customer service lately, which is unfortunate.

Best of luck,

Nate

Sep 7, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 19
Try: http://www.wynterarchtops.com/radios/sale/knobs.htm

I found this link by accident, have not ordered anything but they sure look pretty.
cool.gif

Sep 7, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 19
mb3k those knobs look awsome. It tried to calculate shipping to the U.S. and I think it was comming to arround $20 for 500g package. I couldn't tell if that was U.S. dollars or not. Have you ordered from them and if so how much was shipping?

Oh I almost forgot

here is the "best" knob on earth
http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Me...Code=NOB_C37_C

Please take this as a joke even though its seriously written. Anyone who buys one deserves what they get.

Sep 8, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #7 of 19
I just recently purchased a knob from audiokit.it in Italy. They take paypal now, but I understand there is quite a long wait to get things shipped to the US. (*sigh*)

http://www.audiokit.it

It took me months to find the *right* knob for my project, and there really is not a lot out there. There was a certain look and certain size I had really hoped for. It finally had to come from the EU, even though it will take some time. If I had a reasonable shop I would probably cut and turn some knobs myself because I really lost a lot of time googling combinations of "knob" "aluminum knob" "aluminum knob US" "cool volume knob" "insanity over a knob". Hey, that last one sounds like an album name
blink.gif

Oh, one other thing: use the search feature here. There are some other knob-related threads on this board as well.

Anyway, good luck!

Sep 8, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k
Another good place for knobs here:
http://www.vt4c.com/shop/program/mai..._id=2&hit_cat=

Those knobs are definitely fine looking. Unfortunately, I tried contacting that site awhile back and asked some questions about ordering - never got a reply. In my experience, that's a good gauge of whether to do business with someone or not. I didn't.
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb
Those knobs are definitely fine looking. Unfortunately, I tried contacting that site awhile back and asked some questions about ordering - never got a reply. In my experience, that's a good gauge of whether to do business with someone or not. I didn't.
wink.gif

I strongly suggest you try again. I have ordered from them twice in the last 3 months and have received good service.

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #11 of 19
Thanks for all the thoughts, fellas!

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
One thing to keep in mind when building a wood enclosure is that most of the electronics parts that you're going to be dealing with are meant to be mounted in thin metal panels. Generally they will not accommodate anthing thicker than say 3/16" or so. What this means is that you'll either have to use thin veneer for the panel on your box or use a router to remove enough material from the inside of a thicker panel. Typically I've done used the router method as I don't like working with thin veneer but that's just me.

Good point. And I’ve been thinking about that. Maybe I could attach a long post sticking farther out front? Maybe like Voodoochile did here, at post #19:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...&highlight=Ear
They don't get much prettier than that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Or maybe there are knobs that have long posts? I sure don’t know. I’m new to this. I’ve just started to learn some woodworking (very fun!). Maybe I could even make my own wood knobs. But how to attach them to the front of the amp? And what about switches?

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
As far as parts sources for switches and knobs you're pretty much on your own with google. There isn't a great selection of either (unless you want to spend serious $$$) outside of DigiKey, Mouser and the other common parts houses. Have a look at THL Audio's knobs although I haven't been hearing good things about their customer service lately, which is unfortunate.

Yeah, I googled around before starting this thread, but didn’t come up with much. The THL site looks to have some nice ones. I’ll have a look at those other companies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k
Another good place for knobs here:
http://www.vt4c.com/shop/program/mai..._id=2&hit_cat=

Yes, some nice ones, indeed.

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarthel
I strongly suggest you try again. I have ordered from them twice in the last 3 months and have received good service.

OK, good to know.

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz
It took me months to find the *right* knob for my project, and there really is not a lot out there. There was a certain look and certain size I had really hoped for. It finally had to come from the EU, even though it will take some time. If I had a reasonable shop I would probably cut and turn some knobs myself because I really lost a lot of time googling combinations of "knob" "aluminum knob" "aluminum knob US" "cool volume knob" "insanity over a knob". Hey, that last one sounds like an album name
blink.gif

I sympathize. I looked around prior to starting this thread. But didn't find much that really wowed me. Except for this one, post #19:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...&highlight=Ear
I was all set to get out my wallet until I read that his friend made the knobs. I actually will probbly call around to some local metal places to see if it's an option for me.

What Voodoochile made is really stupendous. Similar to something I have in mind- a wood box with the pretty metal knobs. But getting the knobs to mate well with the wood box isn't easy. His solution is great- long posts to stick through the wood. I wonder if I could do that. I was just thinking of getting a Mapletree Ear amp and making my own box. I don't know anything really about electronics. Hmmm...

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarthel

That's great, Jarthel!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back