Where can I find good advice for buying a CD-player?
Jan 28, 2013 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Malefiz

New Head-Fier
Hello,
sorry if I am somehow off-topic, but I have not found a proper forum to post my request.
Could you tell me where can I find a good forum/website about CD-players?
[size=12.0pt]My budget is 1500 $ (or 1500 € for European members: in [/size][size=12.0pt]Italy[/size][size=12.0pt], the conversion rate for hi-fi gears is 1 $ = 1 €... sad but true!).[/size]

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #4 of 9
You can try Audiogon Forums or Audio Asylum.

Looks like you're in the market for a 'universal' audio disc player. Do you care about multichannel SACD audio or two channel only?

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #5 of 9
I've owned Sony CD players my entire life starting with the CDP-C77es, and it stopped working after close to 20 years so a couple of years ago I purchased a Sony CDP-C701, and IMO they sound great and are very reliable in my experiences. I would never spend that kind of money on a CD player when there are Sony ES models on eBay ranging from 50-150$U.S. to BIN or to bid on. I really don't feel you need to spend that kind of money to get nice sound quality out of a CD player. I've read articles where they they have compared very expensive players to lower priced players and found very little sound quality differences, for instance Sony is said to use Sony PlayStation's (certain serial models, I believe SCPH-102 or 105, don't quote me on the model number it's been a while since I've read the article), for sound demonstration purposes at audio shows. Anyway I feel the older Sony ES models sound excellent, and for the price, if it breaks and I cant repair it myself, I can purchase another one for peanuts.

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Looks like you're in the market for a 'universal' audio disc player. Do you care about multichannel SACD audio or two channel only?

Two channel: the player will be used with headphones only.
I am choosing my setup and, by the way, after having read tons of threads in these EXCELLENT forums, the contenders for headphones and amp are Sennheiser HD 650, HifiMan HE-500, Schiit Mjolnir, Violectric V200. But I think I will go for the HE-500 and V200.

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
I've owned Sony CD players my entire life starting with the CDP-C77es, and it stopped working after close to 20 years so a couple of years ago I purchased a Sony CDP-C701, and IMO they sound great and are very reliable in my experiences. I would never spend that kind of money on a CD player when there are Sony ES models on eBay ranging from 50-150$U.S. to BIN or to bid on. I really don't feel you need to spend that kind of money to get nice sound quality out of a CD player. I've read articles where they they have compared very expensive players to lower priced players and found very little sound quality differences, for instance Sony is said to use Sony PlayStation's (certain serial models, I believe SCPH-102 or 105, don't quote me on the model number it's been a while since I've read the article), for sound demonstration purposes at audio shows. Anyway I feel the older Sony ES models sound excellent, and for the price, if it breaks and I cant repair it myself, I can purchase another one for peanuts.

Interesting. I will dig in this direction  :wink:
I have fond memories of the times when the CPD-C77es was Sony's flagship...  :)

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 9
There's a Sony SCD-1 on Audiogon right now for $1295...

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/cd-sacd-players-sony-scd-1-sacd-cd-player-with-new-laser-assembly-looks-and-sounds-terrific-2013-01-27-digital-53209-milwaukee-wi

and a Sony XA-777ES for $895...

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/cd-sacd-players-sony-xa-777es-sacd-player-excellent-condition-2013-01-14-digital-91344-granada-hills-ca

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 9
Previous to purchasing the 701ES and coming from the 77ES, I purchased a SCD-C222ES, and must say the older models IMO are much better built players than at least the 222ES is built. I sold it one month later because first of all their isn't to much of a selection of Scad's, and most are very expensive and your not going to replace your Cd's with all Scad's (it really didn't catch on like was predicted). Also the mechanical parts of the new players are so loud its ridiculous compared to the vintage players, that barley make any noise. And finally, after purchasing the 222ES I noticed that allot of my Cd's were skipping that never skipped before, so I said to myself I don't remember them skipping and I started to replace a few and realized my original 77ES played them fine. Never the less I gave it away and purchased the 701ES and all of the Cd's I thought were ruined played perfectly fine, (and they were in very poor condition I couldn't believe my ears. The vintage players were made in Japan and built like tanks and the optics are much,much better. And if your into options, they have great options and they are a fraction of the price of Sony's newer models.

Keep in mind that I also open my players up and maintain them properly as far as lubricating all of the gears and moving parts, and checking all of the belts, to keep the player performing smoothly, but it is well worth it IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back