Where Can I Find A Sony CDP-C555ES?
Apr 12, 2003 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Nightfall

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been trying, everywhere I am aware of, to find a Sony CDP-C555ES to purchase. I've done massive Google searches and called just about anywhere that appeared to have ever carried them. New would be nice, but all sources seem to have dried up since they were discontinued, or are selling for hundreds above the final list price of $899.95. The last price they were available for, new, seems to have been from Oade Bros. at $600.00.
I've made offers, for the full asking price, on any that have shown upon Audiogon but they seem to be snapped up within mere minutes of being posted, and I have been notified each time that the unit is already sold. I thought these were essentially a "cult" audio component. Apparently, the cult has gotten large!
On E-Bay, they are even rarer than on Audiogon and again, sell quickly. I'm truly shocked by the interest in these.
I had really hoped to pick up one a 555 and have it modded by SACD Mods, based upon some tremendous reviews of that combination for superb playback of both redbook cds (my most important need) as well as SACD's. I have zero need for a changer, but was willing to make the choice because of the quality of the unit, and its modablity.
Is anyone aware of ANYWHERE I might find one of these available for sale? If you notice one in excellent condition for sale, new, used, seized in a government raid, or available on a street corner, please let me know. Thanks, very much.

JC

Apr 12, 2003 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 12
Nightfall, are you specifically looking for the multi-channel SACD capability? If so, then good luck with your quest. I know that the 555's do pop up and are snatched quickly. If not, have you checked into the 222ES or the 333ES? They seem to be more prevelant in numbers.

Apr 12, 2003 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
Nightfall, are you specifically looking for the multi-channel SACD capability? If so, then good luck with your quest. I know that the 555's do pop up and are snatched quickly. If not, have you checked into the 222ES or the 333ES? They seem to be more prevelant in numbers.

JMT,

While I'll be using the 555ES for headphone listening, and the multi channel capability isnt relevent, other things are. The build quality on the 555 is clearly the best of all those mentioned, and more importantly, the 555 is the only model that SACD Mods is currently upgrading.
The search continues........................

JC

Apr 12, 2003 at 6:34 PM Post #5 of 12
Nightfall, sacdmods is modding the 222es; I just had one done last week. The build quality of the 222es is still excellent. If you will be using this player for headphone listening get a 222es. The difference between the two is small with headphones. I am using my 222es for headphones, driving a gilmore amp, and its wonderful to listen to. Where the 555es moves ahead is its rendition of space through speakers and bass authority. The image size and especially image height is better. The bass is just more powerful with the 555es but all the digital nasties are gone with either player. A new 222es is $350 from Oade Brothers and the full mod is under $400. You can drop ship the 222es from Oades right to sacdmods. I think you would be more than satisfied with the 222es and its much cheaper. Plus, you would be modding a new player vs a used one. The 555es also has the muting relays bypassed with the 555es mod; the cracking as the dac chips reset is annoying period, but especially so through phones. Because of that I prefer the 222es with headphones. With the money you save over purchasing a used 555es and the $600 mod, you can get a new gilmore v2 max or improve some other system link. I own both and I like the 222es as well for headphone listening as I do the 555es in my main system.

Apr 15, 2003 at 7:23 PM Post #8 of 12
That 555ES ad is misleading. I called the gentleman and he was great to talk to. Apparently, the player has only undergone the Oade Brothers mods that cost approximately $175. I read on AudioAsylum that the Oade mods only involves switching out the opamps.

From Oade:
"We replace some analog parts in the unit with better sounding ones. We do not cut traces, add jumpers or do anything that alters the schematic or basic look of the units' PCB. The best I can do is to say that post mod, the 555 sounds a lot like the 777. It is still not as detailed, does not have as much dynamic contrast, but is so much more musical than the stock 555, I thought it was worth offering for those who love the warmth and detail of SCD-XA777ES, but cannot afford one."

From Craig T (poster of the thread on AA)
"As I noted in a post down a few, his unit sounded great so I went for one too. I guess it is the audiophile equivilent of "keeping up with the Jones'"
smily_headphones1.gif
MIne should be here in about 1 1/2 weeks. They are currently out of stock but said a new shippment is comming this week sometime. My freind is spooked about poping the lid but I am not. I will report back after I get a good look and listen."

Apr 16, 2003 at 8:37 PM Post #9 of 12
Nightfall,

You can find it in Sony Metreon in San Francisco. They have it for $800 (saw it today)

For the same price I've seen it several days ago in Goodguys (San Mateo, CA).

Apr 17, 2003 at 2:50 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Is anyone aware of ANYWHERE I might find one of these available for sale? JC [/B]

I 'll get one-in as new condition this week. I'll see how will do as cdp-against my musical fidelity...if not as good, it will be for sale!

Apr 17, 2003 at 4:31 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by grohan
I 'll get one-in as new condition this week. I'll see how will do as cdp-against my musical fidelity...if not as good, it will be for sale!

I will be very interested to see what comes of this comparison. Although, from all I know, the strength of the 555 (unmodded), is the SACD playback. Modded by SACD mods, it is supposedly remarkable with redbook cds.
I eagerly await your findings, nevertheless.

JC

Apr 18, 2003 at 4:36 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Born2bwire
I got mine over the summer at Holme Audio in Woodridge, IL. A coupla people on the forum have ordered ASL products from them. They have a website, just google for it.

Thanks for the tip. I did call them. They are asking quite a bit for the unit, especially as they admit the demo might not have been used much, but has been powered up while they are open for two years.

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back