Where can I find a mute/disconnect switch for stereo XLR?
Apr 16, 2017 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DanPerezSax

100+ Head-Fier
I want to get my powered speakers out of storage and hook them up to my Jotunheim, but the preamp outs on the Jotunheim scale volume with the headphone outs.  I'd rather not be turning off and on my speakers constantly, but I can't be bumping tunes with the sub at night, either, so I'm looking for a convenient way to flip a switch and shut off the signal to the monitors.  Everything I see, though, is either total overkill (stereo switchers for multiple sets of speakers) or expensive and inadequate (mono mute switches or stomp boxes for like $50).  

Anyone know of a kill switch with stereo XLR ins and outs, or do I have to build it myself?

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 4
For the 13 of ya'll who viewed the post, I'm winding up making my own box.  Parts cost about $20.  One XLR cable (gonna cut two pieces from its middle section so it keeps most of its shielding), 2 male XLR ports, 2 female XLR ports, 2 6-pin switches, 1 plastic enclosure.  The switch will short the output to the speakers to disengage them when I want to listen to headphones.

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 4
Are you going from a 4 pin XLR headphone output to two 3 pin XLR line level inputs?

No, I don't know of any commercial products, just trying to understand what you are doing.

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 4
Nah, the Jotunheim has balanced pre-outs on the back with regular old XLR jacks.  The problem is that they don't have independent volume control, so unless I wanna powercycle my speakers every night, or constantly unplug the XLRs which are covered in wire spaghetti, I'll wind up thumping tunes through the speakers while listening to headphones, which is kinda silly, and not roommate/landlord friendly.  The mute box will just cut the signal to the speakers with the flip of two switches (L/R) so I can listen to headphones without blaring out to the whole world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back