Where can I buy this cable? E-Mu 1212m owners please reply
Aug 11, 2005 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sirnice

100+ Head-Fier
Where can I buy this cable? I just purchased the E-Mu 1212m.
I'm trying to take advantage of my 1212m built-in DAC by connecting the 2 analog channels L/R (1/4" mono phone) to my home receiver (RCA female - like the ones on the back of a VCR or TV) or to my desktop speakers SoundStick II (standard 3.5mm mini male like most desktop speakers).

Receiver connect requirement:

Analog out from the 1212m (1/4 " phone) to my receiver. the cable needs to be mono (one channel), so I need 2 cables.

Desktop Speaker connect requirement:
anolog out from the 1212m (L/R channel 1/4" phone) to my HK soundstick pro 2 speakers (3.5mm mini male jack like most desktop speakers) - This one requires 2 channel cable.

(the analog out is actually on the daughter card, not the pci card).

I looked everywhere, but with no luck. Right now I'm forced to use the optical out of the 1212m. I want to take advantage of the builtin DAC since thats why I paid close to $200 for this card.

Aug 11, 2005 at 9:22 AM Post #2 of 16
the emu1212m used balanced connection. people would use stereo 1/4th for just one channel. so it would be a pair of 1/4th stereo -> rca. but lan recommend that when you make a trs (stereo) cable -> rca, that you should omit one channel in the 1/4th connector, since otherway would have both positive and negative signals running toward the rca and somehow doesnt sound as good. i dont have the emu1212m to really test it out myself. i'm uneducated about this balanced thing but its might be a good thing to find out about with your card.

there aren't any commercial cables for this that i know off. i guess you can post a wtb thread in the sale forum and get someone like MisterX or some other headfiers to custom build them for you. also headphile.com sell them.

Aug 11, 2005 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sirnice
Where can I buy this cable? I just purchased the E-Mu 1212m.
I'm trying to take advantage of my 1212m built-in DAC by connecting the 2 analog channels L/R (1/4" mono phone) to my home receiver (RCA female - like the ones on the back of a VCR or TV) or to my desktop speakers SoundStick II (standard 3.5mm mini male like most desktop speakers).

Receiver connect requirement:

Analog out from the 1212m (1/4 " phone) to my receiver. the cable needs to be mono (one channel), so I need 2 cables.

Desktop Speaker connect requirement:
anolog out from the 1212m (L/R channel 1/4" phone) to my HK soundstick pro 2 speakers (3.5mm mini male jack like most desktop speakers) - This one requires 2 channel cable.

(the analog out is actually on the daughter card, not the pci card).

I looked everywhere, but with no luck. Right now I'm forced to use the optical out of the 1212m. I want to take advantage of the builtin DAC since thats why I paid close to $200 for this card.

Just use normal RCA->RCA cables, go to radioshack and buy 2 mono 1/4"->RCA adapters for them.

Or check out www.headphile.com they make cables for the emu series.

As for the soundsticks, toss em in the trash.

Aug 11, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 16
I found some Monster DJ Cable @ radioshack that'll work I think.

These are balanced cables as someone mentioned to me that the analog output of the 1212m is balanced per channel.

Will these work? I'm going to buy them later and report back.

Aug 11, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

I found some Monster DJ Cable @ radioshack that'll work I think.

These are balanced cables as someone mentioned to me that the analog output of the 1212m is balanced per channel.

Will these work? I'm going to buy them later and report back.

You only buy balanced cables if your amp is balanced, so you dont want those, and they also arn't very good cables. You'll get much better quality buying from smaller companies like we posted.

Aug 11, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #7 of 16

Aug 11, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #8 of 16
what's the difference between balanced output and unbalanced?

Does balanced meaning that it output the signal to both L/R channel?
I tested it, I plug in my MS-1 into the L channel of the 1212m analog out and I can hear both L/R playing, not just the L channel. (even though the sound wasn't in stereo)

Wouldn't the signal be stronger if I use a balanced (stereo) cable instead of using a mono cable. It's like getting one extra channel of signal, even though it's combined into a single channel (to 1 RCA).

Just wondering.

Aug 12, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #9 of 16
Balanced is "simply" a method for reducing noise introduced by any external source the cables might pass.

Simply put: the signal is sent the normal way, and an inverted version of itself - and when they arrive at the destination the inverted signal is inverted again, thus returning to the same way as the not inverted signal, except the noice is now inverted and when the two are merged you cancel out the noise and retain only the intended signal. Quite enginous actually (look it up on google or wikipedia or something if you want a more extensive explanation)

But unless you are out to spend some serious cash on a balanced amp and some such there is really no way to benefit from this, and you genrally shouldn't worry about it and simply use the two plugs as left and right.

Aug 12, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Regus
Balanced is "simply" a method for reducing noise introduced by any external source the cables might pass.

Simply put: the signal is sent the normal way, and an inverted version of itself - and when they arrive at the destination the inverted signal is inverted again, thus returning to the same way as the not inverted signal, except the noice is now inverted and when the two are merged you cancel out the noise and retain only the intended signal. Quite enginous actually (look it up on google or wikipedia or something if you want a more extensive explanation)

But unless you are out to spend some serious cash on a balanced amp and some such there is really no way to benefit from this, and you genrally shouldn't worry about it and simply use the two plugs as left and right.

Too late, I just placed an order for the balanced cables.
It wouldn't hurt the signal right? I just won't get any benefit out of it because I don't have a balanced amp.

Aug 12, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Too late, I just placed an order for the balanced cables.
It wouldn't hurt the signal right? I just won't get any benefit out of it because I don't have a balanced amp.

Well... usually a balanced cable has 1/4" in both ends which would make it rather difficult to put them into the RCA connectors in your amp...

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Regus
Well... usually a balanced cable has 1/4" in both ends which would make it rather difficult to put them into the RCA connectors in your amp...

Are you sure about that?
The Monster DJ cable I just purchased is not 1/4" in both ends.

Monster® DJ Cable RCA to 1/4"—6.56-Ft. (2m) Pair

PRODUCT FEATURES
[size=large]• Balanced audio interconnect cable with high quality copper strandings [/size] • 2-conductor, twisted-pair construction for improved music reproduction and maximum noise reduction
• 100% foil shield rejects interference
• Dual-cable, webbed design construction for convenient hookup of left and right channels
• Red and blue color rings on each 24k gold-plated connector for easy left and right identification
• Heavy-duty molded connector design that increases durability and resists damage

Aug 12, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #13 of 16
no you would be able to use them as per normal.

and fwiw, the usual setup for balanced consumer rigs is either DIN or XLR, not 1/4".

Aug 12, 2005 at 10:27 AM Post #14 of 16
The term "balanced" in the radioshack description only means that it is supposed to fit into balanced 1/4" connectors. The cable itself is unbalanced.

Aug 12, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by breadnbutter
The term "balanced" in the radioshack description only means that it is supposed to fit into balanced 1/4" connectors. The cable itself is unbalanced.

I see, thanks for the clarification. The raidoshack description is a little misleading then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back