Where can I buy Sony MDR ED12LP or equivalent?
Jun 22, 2014 at 12:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

HerrKaputt

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, my first post here! :)

I am currently looking for a new pair of in-ear headphones which do not block the ear canal. I had my eyes set on the Sony MDR ED12LP, which apparently has been discontinued. I can still get it from Amazon (for around 25€) but I decided to check around to see if better alternatives are available. Here's a list of requisites:

- Price is a major factor. Anything over 30€ (including shipping) is discouraged, unless the increase in quality is major.
- Must be from a store which ships internationally (to Portugal).
- They must be in-ear, but without blocking the ear canal. I listen to music around 4 hours per day and have had serious earwax problems before. For example those Sonys are OK, the Sennheiser MX 375 are OK, but the Sony MDR-EX10 is not OK. By the way, if you can tell me the standard terms for "in-ear-canal-blocking" and "in-ear-but-not-canal-blocking" that would be great, since I cannot find those names.
- I want good overall sound quality especially in bass, apart from that no major requirements. The Sonys have a frequency range of 5 Hz to 22 KHz, ideally I'd like something that matches this.
- No particular brand preference. I've had good experiences with Sony and Sennheiser, but am willing to change.
- I have slight preference for straight jack, but L-shaped is OK. Use this as tie-breaker. :)

I've been struggling to find something like this at brick-and-mortar stores, and even Amazon has very few choices! So I decided to resort to the experts here. :)

Thanks in advance for the help!

Aug 27, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 3
eBay is the place to go.  My latest purchase was at $8.59 each (just like how they used to be priced on Amazon).  Buy extra!  I'm always losing mine.

I was hoping someone had already answered this question on the "equivalent" side.  These are the only earbud types I prefer.  I would SERIOUSLY consider another brand at a comparable price.  But it must have these earbud types.  I've done research that these are called "in-ear", but all earbuds are using that term, now.

Let me know if you've got any updates :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back