Where can I buy quality, reasonably-priced line out cables?
Jun 12, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you define 'good' in respect to the likes of Neutrik and Switchcraft (which offer plugs for much less than the amount you quoted)?

Furutech rhodium plugs, wbt silver plugs and the eichmann silvers. these are the highest rated plugs around and are in general used on the higher end interconnects.

The copper eichmanns go for 60 dollars a set, the silver for over 100 dollars, the furutech over 100 dollars and the silver wbt about 160 dollars. So, if you want the better plugs, you've spend allready 100 bucks or more....good insulation cost money, to find a good core cost money. So, if you wanna make your own IC, it is not gonna get real cheap.

Nordost or some other brands didn't change the neutrik pro plugs for the wbt silvers for nothing, because they simply are much better.
wink.gif

What they do is better resolution and natural sound. This is also dependant on the core used.

Jun 13, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #20 of 25
^ I can attest that good cables do cost in materials.

I make pretty much all of my own stuff.

All my recables are done by myself and the costs assciated still isn't that cheap. When you start dealing with exotic materials or even just high quality ones, the prices are pretty high for all the pieces of the puzzle. Then factor in time, soldering, and matching everything. Then, the finishing. If you have experience and time on your side, it is a good venture. Otherwise - leave it to the big guns.

BTW: Not many manufacturers remove the other pins. I can say this with confidence on the recent Microshar LODs. I was appalled at how it literally fell apart and left me to fix it. It was not abused and just did not fair well. There are other manufacturers doing the same.

Personally, I make my own LODs. It takes a steady hand, patience, and experimentation. Those pinns can be killer to solder at times and can require some finesse. It gets easier as you do more of them though.

Jun 13, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW: Not many manufacturers remove the other pins. I can say this with confidence on the recent Microshar LODs. I was appalled at how it literally fell apart and left me to fix it. It was not abused and just did not fair well. There are other manufacturers doing the same.

I am an owner of a Microshar LOD and I can attest to their build strength. I tried to open it apart for a retermination and it was hellishly tough. They reinforced it well with epoxy. I don't understand how yours could have fallen apart unless it had been previously modified by someone else (or just a lemon).

Also, I am missing the point here. What is the point of removing the extra, unpopulated pins?

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #23 of 25
^ Pin Removal reduces interference from other signals and results in a cleaner connection that is less taxing on your dock connector.

The microshar that I got was never modded and it is because the wire w/shielding was too big for the port. The end didn't close as fully as it should have at the end of the connector. The heatshrink also would move on the plug and that should not happen ever. They didn't shrink it completely. I fixed that too. It doesnt give me a lot of confidence in the cables of some of these "pros". Do it right, the first time - IMO

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

^ Pin Removal reduces interference from other signals and results in a cleaner connection that is less taxing on your dock connector.

The unpopulated pins are not electrically connected to anything on their end. It's an open circuit. No 'interfering' signals can possibly flow through these pins.

Quote:

The microshar that I got was never modded and it is because the wire w/shielding was too big for the port. The end didn't close as fully as it should have at the end of the connector. The heatshrink also would move on the plug and that should not happen ever. They didn't shrink it completely. I fixed that too. It doesnt give me a lot of confidence in the cables of some of these "pros". Do it right, the first time - IMO

Shield? Which colour (black or white) is your Microshar LOD? On my black LOD, there is no shielding; just techflex over the insulated wires. I don't know if the white model utilizes a shield.

Microshar uses ridiculously a lot of heatshrink to terminate their plugs (as seen in this picture). What is your definition of 'complete'?

Jun 13, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #25 of 25
The wire+techflex+heatshrink was too large for the hole.

The heatshrink on the plug only covered half the plug and it wasn't completely shrunk. I had to shrink it more to get a tight fit on the plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back