Where can I buy IEM drivers?
Mar 9, 2008 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sharpi

New Head-Fier
Over at makezine I found how to make custom ear mould earphones using epoxy putty - MAKE: Blog: Noise Blocking In-Ear Headphones. Though I'm going to use silicone since some of the comments put me off the epoxy (I've already tried polymorph but it was very difficult to work with since it sets as soon as it falls below about 60 degrees centigrade and it didn't seem to block a lot of frequencies).

I was going to use regular earbuds as in the article, but then I realised I could buy some of the speakers they use in super.fi's and add a couple of crossover circuits to the mix.

However, I can't find these speakers anywhere. I've lost at least 10 hours on google in failed attempts to find a supplier. Does anywhere sell them?

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 7
I have a pair from the 3 studio and a westone ES cable if you interested. That could get you off to a good start. I never finished the transplant project I wanted to do.

Mar 9, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 7
You might try asking the folks in the DIY forum about this - it's just the kind of kooky project they'd love
wink.gif

I don't know a darn thing about IEM desin, but I've got to imagine that the enclosure shape and size has a lot to do with the sound. You might have the best luck using decent IEM's and creating your custom earmold around them... Of course, that's not nearly as cool!

Mar 11, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #7 of 7
Hey that is a nice article about DIY ear pieces. I think the knowels armature drivers are about $20.00.

Please post your results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back