Where can i buy Ethanol in England? (to clean my portable amp)
Apr 23, 2008 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Nuwidol

1000+ Head-Fier
So my Headsix has developed a slight channel inbalance & has an annoyingly scratchy volume pot. I emailed Jan Meier & he said the best thing to do was soak the whole pcb in ethanol for 24 hours & then rinse it off with distilled water & let it dry. Must be good advice i thought. Coming from the guy who made the amp.

I can't for the life of me find anywhere that sells it. Any ideas people? Or an alternative way of cleaning it that involves other solutions?

Thanks peeps.

Apr 23, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 17
just buy high % alcohol ( above 90%) - must be clean ( not colored ) - I would try pharmacy ( atleast I would ask there )

Apr 23, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by keiron99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I often wonder where you get this too!

Maybe this sort of thing from Maplin?
Maplin > Isopropyl Alcohol

I'm not sure where you get distilled water, either. In fact, I'm not even sure what it is!

Ok, it is actually pretty easy to explain. Basically, I am guessing this is a way to wash/quicky dry an electronic device. So, what you want is something that can clean but not damage the device.

Distilled water differs from tap water in that it doesnt have free ions floating around. Water normally that comes in a bottle normally isnt just pure H2O, it has nice things like Zinc(Zn2+) Fe(Fe2+, 3+) heck, in the US they artificially put stuff like Chlorine (CI-) and Fluorine(F-), good for the teeth they say.

Apr 23, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 17
Distilled water is also called demineralized water. Tap water (and all the water we drink) has minerals that can stay on the all the stuff you rince, like the white thingies on glasses. That doesn't happen is you use demineralized water. But don't drink it, it creates a change in osmotic pressure and provoke osmotic stress in your body (you body can absorb a lot of that water and it will become swollen, like putting a sea fish in a lake
biggrin.gif
).

Apr 23, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #9 of 17
I couldn't help but laugh.

The answer is, "Where can't you buy ethanol in England?"

And yes, rubbing alcohol = isopropanol = isopropyl alcohol is generally recommended for cleaning electronics. Less chance it will dissolve something important than with other solvents.

If you really wanted ethanol (and you don't need it) , "denatured alcohol", is ethanol with benzene or something else bad added to discourage you from drinking it.

Apr 23, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #10 of 17
I agree with dr dougie. Ethanol was used in the past as a rubbing alcohol but today isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) works just as well ethanol alcohol for cleaning.

If you insist on ethanol maybe you can contact a compounding pharmacy near you and see if they well loan you some. (That should 95% pure ethanol) The compounding pharmacy I worked in had some, but it would seem rather impractical for me to ship you some. Plus, I'm just a lowly intern so I doubt they would loan me much anyway since that stuff is the type of alcohol you can make drinks with.

Apr 23, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #11 of 17
I work at Maplin...

the 400ml size is an aerosol can
the 1L size is a tin can with a screw cap, probably more along the lines of what you are looking for

I love Isopropyl Alcohol and use it to clean PCBs, computer heatsinks, CPUs, GPUs, GDDR... it's quite versatile and non-corrosive

If it's the actual pot that is causing the noise, I'd suggest dismantling it and using some Switch Cleaner, maybe with a cotton bud (Q-tip):

Maplin brand: Maplin > Switch Cleaner
Servisol brand: Maplin > Contact Cleaner

Apr 23, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #12 of 17
Maplins sell isopropyl alcohol -at least in spray can form as I have a can here for such purposes.

Distilled water is probably most easily obtained from a car accessory shop like Halfords as it is used as battery top up before they started sealing the car batteries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back