Where can I buy CD players in United States?
Mar 15, 2015 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ShawnGAO

New Head-Fier
I have received an offer from University of Kentucky, thus I will go to Lexington KY in August. 

I was wondering if there were stereo shops nearby. If not, is there any other way to buy a CD player in US?

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 7
Best Buy is pretty much in every city in the US. Looks like there are a couple in Lexington: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat12092&type=page&_requestid=88768

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 7
Also, once a college student, you can get free Amazon prime shipping for 6 months: http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info

Mar 16, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #5 of 7
  I have received an offer from University of Kentucky, thus I will go to Lexington KY in August. 
I was wondering if there were stereo shops nearby. If not, is there any other way to buy a CD player in US?

Guess you could find lots of used CD players on eBay.
You might consider ripping all your audio CDs to mp3/FLAC audio files.

Mar 16, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #6 of 7

Frys (an electronics store that specializes in PCs, but also has Apple, console games, HT, and home appliances, etc - and their snack bar is good enough if youre too lazy to drive elsewhere when you're there) has some entry level CDPs. Better to just get them online so you'll have better choices. If you want to listen to them check out the dealer networks of whatever brand you're interested in and you might find one near the campus. My brother was asking me where to listen to Grados before buying, I told him the same thing, and he found one smack behind his college in Costa Mesa, CA. As in he showed me where it was, and I can see the back of one the college buildings from the street just behind the strip mall where the audio store is.

Still, for a little bit of future proofing and more so since I assume you'll be staying in a cramped dorm, why not get a music server? You can rip your music to FLAC or ALAC, and music servers will access a hard drive. Some of them have the HDD installed internally, others use USB and (W)LAN - that will save you a lot of space. You won't even need to pack your existing CDs if you rip them to lossless now and take a hard drive with you. I'm using my smartphone as a music server right now (docked into a sync dock to keep the display/interface upright, and to manage cable clutter) but in the future if I'd get back to using CDPs (after all the optical drives that gave up the ghost on me too soon and repairs aren't exactly easy) at all right now the only ones I have in mind are the Cayin CDT23 (already out of production but I really love the sound out of that one), Musical Fidelity M3, and one of those tank-like Wadias (for no other reason than that they look impressive, you don't actually need them that huge and heavy to fight vibrations). Heck, even Wadia stopped making CDPs, as I haven't seen any new ones on their website.

Look up servers like the following to start you off on these:

Musical Fidelity M1 CLiQ

Olive O4HD

Marantz NA7004

Aune S1

Cocktail Audio X10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back