where can i buy a cmoy kit?
Feb 6, 2008 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

ueyteuor

1000+ Head-Fier
i just want a simple cmoy kit.. just to work on a little project.. see if i can make an amp... never made one before..

i want a cmoy kit that includes every piece needed, and instructions on where to put the pieces.. and ill solder them.. any place sell em like that?

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 24
forum members Zigis and Joshatdot have had their own PCB layouts professionally printed, and i know that Zigis was selling kits a little while ago. don't remember whether or not Joshatdot was selling complete kits, or just PCBs.

Mar 9, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give me a day and I will put together a DIY Cmoy package for you with everything you need to build one except for the casing and the 9v battery.

yeh how much??
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #9 of 24
I am new to audio DIY, and recently became interested in building a CMoy headphone amplifier. Following the instructions on Tangent's website, I built three amplifiers; all worked perfectly. I have leftover parts from this series of projects and can put together a 'kit' of components you will need to build your own. This project is not going to save you money; you can buy a complete CMoy on eBay for less than the parts I can provide. Rather, this is an excellent introduction to audio DIY which gives the builder some insight on how to create a useful piece of electronics and helps develop skills that can be applied to successively more complicated projects. This is a personally satisfying project. I must, though, ask that you read this next section before I throw out a price...

DISCLAIMER: The parts provided will make a functioning CMoy amplifier per the article called How To Build the CMoy Pocket Headphone Amplifer on Tangent's website - Audiologica. The instructions (also referred to as tutorials) on this website must be followed to the letter! I recommend that you also review the other getting started articles, as well: Getting Started in Audio DIY, Is Amplifying Low-End Sources Worthwhile?, and How to Wire Panel Components.

I have two complete CMoy kits available for $48 each, delivered CONUS. This covers my cost for the parts plus shipping. The resistors were upgraded to Vishay-Dale from the original list of components presented by Tangent. This kit will create an amp with a gain of 11. This kit does not include the power source (9v battery), an enclosure, hookup wire, soldering equipment, solder, tools, test equipment or any other accessories. Many Head-Fi members are better able to provide technical support than I can.

The only component changes to the stock CMoy were to upsize the capacitors (C1 and C2) to larger size to provide for better bass handling. These changes are discussed in Tangent's tutorials. These are big capacitors, but will fit on the provided PCB board with creative bending of the leads (see attached photo). Both PCBs included have all the jumpers pre-installed.

My last build was the Cocktail Shaker CMoy

m_CocktailShakerCMoy.jpg

Inside the Cocktail Shaker CMoy, you can see the larger caps will fit onto the PCB.
m_CocktailShakerCmoyBoard.jpg

PM me if you are interested, need more information or for a complete parts list. Thanks for looking.

Mar 10, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dakkar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to check locally if I can get the parts on the cheap. If I'm having too much trouble finding the hardware, I'll PM you.

Thanks!

Part of the fun of this project is finding the parts. Most of my order was filled by digikey.com with a few bits picked up from Radio Shack. I used my own casings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back