Where be the Gilmore Lite reviews?
Sep 7, 2003 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

stryker

500+ Head-Fier
Dear fellow Gilmore Lite owners,

I know the units just shipped but someone's burned one in for at least a few daze now. I am (and others, I'm sure) chomping at the bit to hear about this amp. For $290, its definitely got my interest given that the only stated difference from the V2 is the power supply (no small deal, I know). Someone posted one in the "for sale" forum and, in that post, stated that it blows away the meta42. Well, can anyone qualify this or offer any other points of view? Do tell.

Sep 8, 2003 at 12:19 AM Post #2 of 17
I've been wondering the same thing, everyone is so quiet.

Well, I can tell ya' what I know and it ain't much! I picked up my Gilmore Lite yesterday and was listening to it last night and today while I have been working. The following comments are very provisional, since the Lite is changing for the better as it burns in. At this point with around 12 hours of playing time at mostly low volumes it sounds pretty darn good. Compared with my Gilmore V2 it sounded better out of the box, the V2 was pretty rough when it was brand new. Not that that really indicates anything, but I have been listening to this amp as it burned in and with the V2 I couldn't stand to.

Comparison so far to V2
Bass on the Lite has less weight than the V2. I'm not sure I mind this, it reminds me of having a Pepsi when you've been drinking a lot of Coke. The taste is nice and crisp and a nice change of pace. OTOH, I go for Coke most of the time, so I'm not sure how this'll work out! On some of my songs with real low bass like Clint Eastwood by the Gorillaz, the low end was unquestionably MIA. With the V2 and my Etys, my ears vibrate on that track. With the Lite they didn't. Of course, it took a while for the bass to develop with the V2, so I wouldn't draw any conclusions.

The Lite had a LOT less dynamic range than the V2 out of the box, but it seems to be improving steadily as it burns in. I just A/B'd it against my V2 and it's defintely getting better.

The Lite didn't originally have me bouncing around in my chair to it, but within the last few minutes I've found that I am, so that's a good sign. The V2 is good enough that it passes the "bounce test" with flying colors.

The Lite doesn't seem to have quite the seperation and detail of the V2. As with everything else this might change. All in all, I would say this is a very good value for the money. I haven't heard a Meta42, so I can't really compare them.

Sep 9, 2003 at 2:54 AM Post #3 of 17
Just got mine a few days ago. I hooked it up to my micromega stage 2.

I must say that it is a bit more detailed than my old headroom supreme. It also drives my 600's with plenty of authority.

What i like the most however is the fact that nothing in particular stands out. It just gives back whatever you put into it.
For example, it sounds like **** with my D-25s but sounds amazing with my stage 2.

I like it a lot more than the V1. Its somewhat amusing that an elpac wall wart can outperform the v1's power supply.
Altogether, it has done a very nice job of opening up my HD600's. It totally slaughters everything else i've heard for under 500$ (except for maybe the gilmore v2)

I will post a longer, more official review once i get a good month or so of listening out of the way.

Sep 9, 2003 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 17
An update, after another 10 or 15 hours of burn-in the bass is definately improving. It vibrates my ears on Clint Eastwood, but not as much as the V2. The dynamics have improved nicely and the top end seems to be opening up. Yesterday I mostly listened to pop and rock. I'm currently listening to the Sterophile Beethoven Piano sontas and it does a nice job with the piano. All in all, this is looking like a nice addition to the collection!
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2003 at 4:07 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by stryker
Someone posted one in the "for sale" forum and, in that post, stated that it blows away the meta42. Well, can anyone qualify this or offer any other points of view? Do tell.

FWIW I have a HeadSave Ultra. IMO the Lite is the better amp especially when it comes to harder to drive headphones.

Dec 14, 2003 at 4:01 PM Post #7 of 17
gpalmer,

Do you still have the Lite. If so, how do you like it now. This is starting to sound like a GREAT bargain in amplification.

Scott

Dec 14, 2003 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 17
I would like to hear some more feedback too. This really sounds promising (assuming I can get an answer about the unusual power supply that takes 110V, I need 240V
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

Please, more feedback gpalmer.

Simon

Dec 14, 2003 at 11:04 PM Post #9 of 17
It's been quite some time since I've listened to the Lite. If I get some time this weekend, I'll compare it to the V2 and let you folks know!

Dec 14, 2003 at 11:06 PM Post #10 of 17
Yeah there have been lots of review and discussion about the V2, not as much as on the Lite. For the $250 pricetag, it's very tempting.

Scott

Dec 15, 2003 at 9:41 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
It's been quite some time since I've listened to the Lite. If I get some time this weekend, I'll compare it to the V2 and let you folks know!

Lite sitting there unused, how criminal!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2003 at 7:40 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by DLP
WOW! Have you seen his profile? Why would the Lite be anywhere near the top of his listening priorities?

Indeed, but still....Oh well, mine has to wait till tax refund time anyway. So lots of window shopping for me.

Scott

Dec 16, 2003 at 7:43 PM Post #14 of 17
I'm sorry folks, work ate my life for a bit, and I had other commitments that took precedence, but I'm going to be on vacation for the next week and a half so I can promise I will get the comparison done!

Dec 16, 2003 at 7:46 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
I'm sorry folks, work ate my life for a bit, and I had other commitments that took precedence, but I'm going to be on vacation for the next week and a half so I can promise I will get the comparison done!

Yeah, that work stuff always gets in the way doesn't it. We (at least I) appreciate your input.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back