where are the new cowon/sony players?!
Feb 3, 2010 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

chicagojammer

Head-Fier
Seriously, the current X and S9 players are over a year old, where are the new models to these players? ...ok the X is not as old as the S9 but its tech is as outdated. Also, I am talking in regards to the US market.

Feb 3, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #2 of 16
well, considering that the only major flaw in the S9 is the lack of AAC support, add to that the recent addition of the E2, I9 and soon to be lunched V5 PMP, as for sony, they just renovated its midrange with new S and E series players,

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #4 of 16
The S9 looks like it could use a speed boost though. Does anyone know what this J3 they are working is? The Iriver has no physical buttons so I dont think I will be interested, I need the combo of touch and physical track skip and play and pause. At least lower the s9 price some
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

I need the combo of touch and physical track skip and play and pause.

I have to agree! Having a device with a purely touch interface is a but annoying since you can't just skip a track right from your pocket without having to take the device out, unlock it, change the track and lock it again! On the other hand, once you've used touch devices you really get to like the convenience and feeling to it - at least i do! - and going back to a purely button based interface is pretty frustrating!
I'd love to see a new updated sony X series with 64Gb and various problems fixed....or a new cowon 64Gb and a better built quality to it !

How long will we have to wait ?!

Feb 4, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 16
Am I the only one who wanted a X series Sony touch but didn't buy one because of the placement of the headphone jack?

I hope the new ones (if they come out soon) have the jack coming out the bottom.

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 16
It doesn't appear that Sony is planning on a new X anytime soon. It has always seemed strange to me that Sony didn't market the product better. Maybe their main goal was not the U.S. market. You just can't find them in a brick and mortar store unless you have a Sony store in your city....which I don't.

I also have never understood the Cowon approach. No AAC? Really? It would take nothing to add that to their players. Like or not....Apple owns about 70 percent of the mp3 market. You're shooting yourself in the foot not adding their codec to your software.

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 16
I'd like new sony products, but I fear that they'll overcharge for it as usual. I mean, spending 500 bucks for the 32 gig X-series is ridiculous, when the ipod touch is 300 dollars at 32 gigs.

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ojsinnerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like new sony products, but I fear that they'll overcharge for it as usual. I mean, spending 500 bucks for the 32 gig X-series is ridiculous, when the ipod touch is 300 dollars at 32 gigs.

agreed.

Sony is the far superior sounding player but the touch is the far superior everything else player.

Feb 4, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also have never understood the Cowon approach. No AAC? Really? It would take nothing to add that to their players. Like or not....Apple owns about 70 percent of the mp3 market. You're shooting yourself in the foot not adding their codec to your software.

This is only a guess, but maybe Apple don't license or charge an over-the-top premium on other manufacturers who want to include the AAC codec on their players.

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TCD1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is only a guess, but maybe Apple don't license or charge an over-the-top premium on other manufacturers who want to include the AAC codec on their players.

That's a pretty logical explanation. I just could not see them just being "stubborn" about it. That's a LOT of money left on the table because you're cutting off too much of your market.

People like me who started with the all mighty ipod several years ago now have over 2500 AAC files. Fortunately a couple of years ago when I stumbled onto better sounding players, they were able to take AAC files so I did not have to spend several weeks converting them all to MP3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back