Where are all the Gilmore V2 reviews?
Apr 28, 2003 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

shafu

500+ Head-Fier
I saw that Seah H had his and gave some of his thoughts, but where are the others? Espeically looking for: V1 vs V2 and reviews of the higher end gilmores. Or are people still waiting?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2003 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 9
Update: Gilmore V2 at 200 hours

I don't think anyone else has one yet. But, this week you'll see a flood.

Well, I thought I might throw out another update. I've had the V2 going continuously for 8 days now and roughly at 200 hours right now. The biggest news to pass along is the bass!! Now, I'm no bass freak by any means but I seriously felt the Gilmore lacked a little in the bass department for a good number of hours into the burn-in. Kind of a lack of deep bass, solidity overall and even mid bass lightness. I had reported that it was slowly coming around gradually during the week. By Friday, at about 150 hours or so, wow!! The bass is well into stride now. Again, not a bass freak but suddenly my Senn 600's started sounding quite deep, tight and punchy. And my 2-channel subwoofer was starting to pound big time and forcing me to turn it down to levels I had usually used in other two channel systems I've owned. Tuneful, big, deep bass. Near total transformation over night. Now stand up bass is well defined, kick drums have authority and even vocals have more body.

The bass isn't all though. that slightly forward character in the upper mids I described is well in control now. As a preamp the Gilmore V2 is just awesome, throws a huge stage with lots of air. This amp sounds so lively and gets your toe tapping. I would characterize the presence region as being quite revealing. This makes for very clear definition and lets you hear a lot of detail. But I would never say it's forward or fatiguing, definitely musical and involving. Lots of air, space and depth. Images are rendered quite big and large, perhaps a little less focused but very present.

It's lively character really mates well with the Senn 600's which are said to have that slightly dipped upper midrange region. Smoothness also comes to mind as well, never etched sounding or glaring. Mind you it seemed a little etched early on but in time it's become much more refined.

One thing people have asked about is if the preouts are muted when a headphone is being driven. Short answer is no. Unfortunately if you are using the V2 as a preamp with an amp and speakers hooked up you'll have to shut your amp down when you want to listen to headphones. Not a big deal really. If having a muting fuction in there would have degraded the sonics then I would rather have it this way.

Operationally everyting has been perfect, the amp is deadly quiet and I hear no oddities like distortion, pops, noise or channel imbalances at any levels. I plan to write a more cohesive and coherent review soon. So far I've really focused on break in issues and some very general comments about the V2's sonics, I'll give some muslcal references and comparisons in a review. Can't wait to hear what others think! Remember though, let it break in for some time!!

Apr 28, 2003 at 4:02 AM Post #4 of 9
Mine will be here on Wednesday, but it isn't likely that I will say anything about it anytime soon. I have a lot of listening to do, and I probably won't be saying anything until whether know whether I like it better than my META42 or not.

May 5, 2003 at 12:18 PM Post #7 of 9
every review i've read is just raving about the gilmore v2's. Do they have ANY faults?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back