Where and What are the really good instrumental hip-hop beats of about the last 15 years?
Aug 29, 2009 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Scriptor Carpe Diem

New Head-Fier
I was in a store the other day, Guitar Center actually. In the "DJ" section, they had one of those defintally modern sounding instrumental hip-hop style tracks, a very nice cool sound. The kind of sound where you just feel the music and your like this is nice, not inspirational, not meaningful, just "yeah, this sounds alright. I'd like to listen to this when I'm commuting or when I'm surfing the net". Just a nice good beat, with modern effects.

Does anyone at all know what I'm getting at? Because I really don't know how to explain it well. But if from my inane babble you can dicern what I'm trying to express, please, please, please, tell me the songs/bands/groups you know that do this, so I may explore their style of music.

Thank You!!!

Sep 8, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 22
DILLA DILLA DILLA DILLA aka jay dee

oh and the recent phenomenon

BSBD or Blue sky black death.

Beat konducta aka madlib is good too.

thats mainly for non-mainstream type beats. 9th wonder is a good producer. Black milk is a good producer.

Something a little older would be the deltron 3030 instrumentals by Dan the Automator.

Some independent myspace/free artists, check out Dert and Cloud Productions. Dope.

If youre into keyboard sounds check out internet phenomenon Ronald Jenkees.

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by THAY BRAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ELIOT LIPP

YESSSS 100% look this guy up. "Tacoma Mocking Bird" and "The Outside" are my two (easily accessible) favs of his. I saw him open for STS9 in late 2008, great musician and great beat maker. Also, there's an Atmosphere song called God's Bathroom Floor. Check it out, it may be on YT, but not sure.

Another one that is on my top 10 list is DJ Krush & Toshinori Kondo -- Ki-Oku. DJ Krush is an awesome DJ and Kondo is an Avant-Garde trumpeter.

Oh ya, and RJD2 -- The Horror. The song "Ghostwriter" is from those car insurance commercials.

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #7 of 22
Peter Rock-Petestrumentals
Krush
Prefuse 73
RJD2
Omid

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #8 of 22
2nd the RJD2 tip.

which reminds me.

blockhead: music by cavelight

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #10 of 22
01. DJ Shadow - Endtroducing..... (1996)
02. Jay Dee - Donuts (2006)
03. Rjd2 - Deadringer (2002)
04. Blockhead - Music by Cavelight (2004)
05. Madlib - Shades of Blue (2003)
06. Beat Konducta - Vol. 5: Dil Cosby Suite (2008)
07. Nujabes - Modal Soul (2005)
08. DJ Shadow - The Private Press (2002)
09. Boom Bip - Seed to Sun (2002)
10. Blue Sky Black Death - Late Night Cinema (2008)

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #11 of 22
Ofcourse the grand exalted J Dilla. Donuts is cool but The Shining is better in my opinion and I really think you should check that one out. The instrumental is available
o2smile.gif

Oh, and maybe some Dabrye

Sep 9, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear god no... I HATED "Los Angeles"...
confused_face.gif

Besides, Flying Lotus is Electronic/IDM, not Instrumental Hip-Hop

Yeah... That's true.
frown.gif

Have you listened to Clutchy Hopkins?? The album "Life of Clutchy Hopkins" is definitely worth a listen:

51z4MsxlWnL._SS500_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back