Where and how much lubricant for turntable?
May 2, 2007 at 3:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Headphoneus Supremus
I've done some searching and found some very vague references, but nothing concrete. What I want to know, is how much lubricant should be applied to my turntable, and where it should be applied. In the following picture, you will see the underside of the turntable. Directly in the center of it, there is a circle pressed into the plastic. Directly to the left of that, there is a small hole. This is the hole where the lubricant is supposed to be applied. Please note, all the images are thumbnails, and you can click them to enlarge them to 1600x1200.

In the next picture, there is a close up of the lubricant hole.

In the following picture, you will see the underside of the turntable with the cover removed.

And finally, in this last picture, you will see the top of the turntable with the dust cover and mat removed.

So, my main question is this. Where exactly do I apply the lubricant? Just in that little hole, or anywhere else inside the tt as well? And, how much of it do I use? Thanks for your insight!

BTW, in case anybody is wondering what that brown cable is, it's my diy ground cable. The original one was missing.

May 2, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #2 of 15
Please, do NOT squirt ANYTHING through that hole in the bottom!! Question : Have you removed the platter yet and many of your questions can be better answered by aquiring both an owner's and service manual but I'll try to help where I can.

May 2, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #4 of 15
HAHA funny that only "where and how much lubricant" come up on the main forums browsing page
biggrin.gif
I'm sure a lot of ppl got excited!

May 2, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 15
Ok, I purchased the manual, it is in PDF format. It does not contain any information I could find about lubrication, however it does have detailed breakdowns of the inside of the turntable and everything, and adjustment information. I don't know if I'm supposed to do this or not, but here is a link to the manual:
* SEE EDIT 2 *

I will remove the file and the link once I have the information I need. If you click it, the file should automatically be recognized as a PDF, but if it's not, save it to your desktop, and change the .uz2 to .pdf.

The manual gets way to over the top and technical for me to comprehend, can somebody look at it and tell me where I should apply lubricant and how much I should apply? I have purchased special phono lubricant that I can use.

If you see any other info in there that would be useful to me, please let me know as well. Can anybody help me out with this?

EDIT: link no longer works. Let me find another host quick.

EDIT 2:
New file host:
http://www.mediafire.com/?9yzgythqyzz

May 3, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 15
The SL-Q200 is a basic direct-drive turntable, so the platter is sitting on the motor shaft. This type motor is not likely to be serviceable and the platter is very light, so not much wobble is expected anyway.
In this case, take the easy way out... If it ain't broke...
wink.gif

May 3, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #9 of 15
It seems to spin fine but I found it in a trashpile, remember. The cartridge was really messed up and fell apart into a heap of oxidized metal when I tried to take it off. And it was filthy, but I have cleaned it up really nicely. There is a spot to put the lubricant, so why not? I am positive that is where you put the lubricant, because when I removed the bottom and touched the metal circle that is under that hole, it was slippery with oil. After closer examination, I see how it works. You put some lubricant in that hole, it goes onto to metal disc, and drips off into these drainage holes around it which carry the lubricant into the motor. By only question is HOW MUCH are you supposed to use? I just want this in tip-top shape. One drop? Two drops? Three? A little squirt? And then are there any areas inside the turntable that would benefit from having lubricant applied?

May 3, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After closer examination, I see how it works. You put some lubricant in that hole, it goes onto to metal disc, and drips off into these drainage holes around it which carry the lubricant into the motor. By only question is HOW MUCH are you supposed to use? I just want this in tip-top shape. One drop? Two drops? Three? A little squirt? And then are there any areas inside the turntable that would benefit from having lubricant applied?

If you have "must" do that, then use thin oil and start with one drop. It's easy to add, not that easy to remove excess oil...
icon10.gif

Frankly, these tables see an easy life and seem to last "forever". Worst case it will die in a few years and you'll find another one on ebay for a few bucks, or luck out and find another one in a trash bin...
eggosmile.gif
You should try swap meets and flea markets. Plenty of that stuff for nothing.
To get an authentic sound, look for a Shure V15 or M95 or M97 cartridge from that era. The ADC XLM-II might be even better!
icon10.gif

May 3, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #11 of 15
I have decided to order the P-mount Grado silver cartridge, from the prestige series. I should be receiving it soon. How will I know if I need to add another drop of lubricant?

May 3, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

By only question is HOW MUCH are you supposed to use? I just want this in tip-top shape. One drop? Two drops? Three? A little squirt? And then are there any areas inside the turntable that would benefit from having lubricant applied?

I have heard cases of people covering up symptoms of worn out Technics SP10 motorboards with heavy black oil but not much about the correct type oil to use for optimum performance.

On the whole you are meant to clean out the old oil before you put in any new oil but as direct drives have the motor and bearing in one assembly this may be a difficult job.

Try posting on http://www.vinylengine.com/ in their Technics forum or else just email Technics as the motor probably doesn't differ much from the one in the SL1200.

May 3, 2007 at 12:27 PM Post #13 of 15
Err... could I just pour lighter fluid into the oil hole, which will remove the oil and then just let it totally dry?

May 3, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Err... could I just pour lighter fluid into the oil hole, which will remove the oil and then just let it totally dry?

doesn't sound like such a good idea but to tell the truth I don't know...

I checked and http://www.kabusa.com have the specific Technics oil called SFW0 010.

Also they are very helpful Technics experts and I am sure they'll be able advise you about the correct procedure.

May 3, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

I'd be careful with such procedures. There is a lot of plastic inside these units and some internal parts which do not "like" certain fluids. Also how do you guaranty that the fluid would displace thick contaminated oil?
evil_smiley.gif

Maybe reading the service manual all the way is the best. Take the unit apart and do the job right.
You can see why the simple belt-drive turntables are still around after so many years. You remove the belt, pop out the platter, clean the old gunk and put fresh lubricant. Then spin it a bit and decide if you need more lubricant. Can't get any simpler than that...
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back