When your love-affair with a headphone ends
Mar 31, 2010 at 7:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't mean when the headphones expire, or when you upgrade from a base model to a reference model.....I mean that very sad day when you're listening to your beloved headphones and realize that you no longer dig the sound. Does this happen to you, and if so, what caused it if you can figure it out.

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #2 of 26
I've been going to a lot of classical concerts, so lately my babies (woodied SR60s) only get used for rock. I also just auditioned HD600s, K701s, D2000s and more for the first time ever, so the Grados are getting left behind when it comes to acoustic music. I still love them for rock and amplified music in general, though. Wouldn't get rid of them for anything!

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mean when the headphones expire, or when you upgrade from a base model to a reference model.....I mean that very sad day when you're listening to your beloved headphones and realize that you no longer dig the sound. Does this happen to you, and if so, what caused it if you can figure it out.

For me, once I feel I understand the sound of a given headphone, my opinion tends not to change much. If, after an reasonable evaluation period, I dig it's sound, I will pretty much always dig it's sound.

I may sell something because I find another model that has it's general sound characteristics only better, but my opinion of the old phone doesn't diminish. It just becomes redundant to my collection.

Kevin

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #4 of 26
I see several possible reasons:
* A new headphone getting more love (upgraditis).
* The headphone breaks down to unrepairable state.
* Musical taste changes and the headphone is no longer a clear winner.

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #7 of 26
This can happen when one listens to the phones and not to the music like:

1) Been to a friend or a meet and WOW new phones, new gear, new music.

2) Been reading to many Headfi threads where fotm raves abound.

3) Been reading to many IpodPJ post's, man! what passion he has.

4) Been promoted or inherited some $, now burning a hole in one's pocket.

5) Been rejected by girlfriend, developed acute adjustment disorder and wanting to fill a void.

On the other hand, one could have read a post by IpodPJ, bought the damn phone and started listening. Discovering great synergy with usual components, hearing vast improvements compared to usual phone, feet tapping, goosebumps rising, loosing track of time and scratching out old favourite tracks. Eventually returning to old phone and wondering where did the triangles go and where's the goosbumps.

This post is pure speculation and all names and characters are absolutely fictional.

Funshade.

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #10 of 26
Yes my K271 they sound too closed / headphone-like compare to my D2000 and K601 and they make strange noise when you wear them, i'm planning to sold them.

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #12 of 26
Take a break from them for a while.

This happened with my Grado 325i a while ago. I just didn't like the way they sounded. I nearly sold them but pulled them from the fs forum. A few months later, I started to enjoy them more than I ever had.

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #13 of 26
True love never dies!

I haven´t had that happening to me with any of my better loved gear. Be it speakers, monitors or whatever. I have had periods where I wanted some change and being annoyed with certain issues. Sometimes my ears turn sensitive it seems. But not to the point I would actually consider selling headphones I truly appreciate.

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #14 of 26
I love my new SR80i but looking at SR225i to upgrade.

The love affair won't die...if something sounds good, it's always going to sound good to you. Sure you might be spoiled by better and higher end stuff, but the love for something won't die just that easily. There's a reason/s that sparked that love in the first place.
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back