When you stick an IEM in deep enough...
Oct 5, 2012 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

imadroppa

New Head-Fier
Why does the sound become inaudible? Like if you push them as deep as possible without puncturing your ear drum, they cant be heard, similar to if it had blown out.

Always been curious to know, and didnt feel like doing a complete ear-anatomy study to find out, so im hoping the geniuses here wouldnhave an answer.

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 7
I would think you are running into the side of the ear canal.

What type of IEM?

Thanks, Jim

Why does the sound become inaudible? Like if you push them as deep as possible without puncturing your ear drum, they cant be heard, similar to if it had blown out.
Always been curious to know, and didnt feel like doing a complete ear-anatomy study to find out, so im hoping the geniuses here wouldnhave an answer.

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

There can be multiple causes for this.  When you push it in, it can cause driver flex.  Drivers are designed to flex and relax, this is how it produces noise.  However, when you push it in, the driver will stay in the flexed position.  Without relaxing, the sound won't be produced.  This is most likely the cause of the inaudibility.  

However, if you do aim the driver in the wrong direction (side of your ear canal), it'll have a lot less volume produced in comparison to the other ear.  Since your other ear is that much louder, it makes it sound like one side is no longer producing noise (perceived as so).  

The most likely cause would be driver flex though.  There may be other causes.  

Oct 6, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 7
I think I know what you mean, when you have it in to deep do you feel a good amount of pressure in your ear?  I think it has something to do with the air pressure or something like that in your ear.  When I first got my HF5 that was happening to me but when I'd pull down on my earlobe and brake the seal it released the pressure I was feeling and they sounded good again.  I don't know if that's caused by a pressure change or what but that's what it felt like.

Oct 6, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #6 of 7
I never liked the pressure I got from my Custom TF10s. It was painful and uncomfortable. Then trying to adjust it where I didn't have that pressure and a good fit was near impossible....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back