When will people notice there is a "music" forum on head-fi?
Apr 10, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #16 of 52
For me, every head-fi visit includes a stop over at the music sub-forum. There's usually something worthwhile going on. That said, does anyone know of an entire forum dedicated to music in general?

Apr 10, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #17 of 52
we should expand the music forum on here, personally i care more about the music than the latest gear and yes i do know another forum dedicated to music, but unfortunately it's full of idiots and flaming, which isn't very fun because no serious discussion can ever go on, maybe some day i'll find a happy medium
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #18 of 52
I think the reason it's kinda dead in there is because music is such a personal thing, especially on a forum where most of us care about it so much. Even though there are strict rules about being mean in there, still, it happens, and it's really sad when the only person who notices is the one who got hurt.

In my lurkings in the music forum I saw it in more threads than not - some person mentions a favorite band or song, and someone else comes along and says how bad it is. Maybe they say it in a nice way, maybe they don't, but the meaning is the same. Meanwhile, you just poopoo'd on someone's favorite song.

Maybe it's not the reason we say out loud that we don't go in there, but that's why. There's no solution to the problem because as I said, the rules are already strict, and a lot of times people doing the insulting don't even know they're being insulting. No, I'm not talking about me because I don't post enough in there, and I've voiced unpopular opinions about performers myself. It's just how people are, and if you love something and it's close to your heart and you don't want to see it poopoo'd on, you're not going to talk about it in a forum.

Apr 10, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #19 of 52
It would be nice to see more action there. But there are a number of excellent, very long threads on classical music. And the "dark desires" thread is one of the all-time longest.
k1000smile.gif

Apr 10, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #20 of 52
I shall make it a deliberate point to participate there fully from now on!

Bet you wish you hadn't complained now.

Apr 11, 2007 at 12:43 PM Post #24 of 52
Except for the many great classical threads, the music usually discussed in the music forum doesn't interest me greatly. Other headfiers may feel the same.

Also, some of the discussions end up being a venue for inflatable egos talking about what's "real" and how authorative their opinion is. Not a lof these threads but they do put you off.

Nevertheless, it's unfortunate that the music section isn't given more attention. I've discovered many great things there and it's amazing how quickly you can hit the "buy" button for a complete Mahler set compared to the endless contemplation for an equally expensive portable amp.

Apr 11, 2007 at 12:45 PM Post #25 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's actually the forum page i frequent most often. shame i don't have more compadres.

X2....The World Music Thread is a beast. So much thanks go to Antiant and FalconP for the wonderful reviews and updates they post..I check it out daily.

Apr 11, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #27 of 52
i admit, that i like listening to music far more than i know much about it or can talk about it. i'm very much intimidated by the big know-it-all figures in the music forum.

Apr 11, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #28 of 52
Quote:

it's actually the forum page i frequent most often. shame i don't have more compadres.

i used to hit "music" first, but nothing interesting ever seems to be brought up anymore.

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #29 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i used to hit "music" first, but nothing interesting ever seems to be brought up anymore.

it ebbs and flows, waxes and wanes. just like life, sometimes it's compelling, sometimes it ain't.

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #30 of 52
Quote:

it ebbs and flows, waxes and wanes. just like life, sometimes it's compelling, sometimes it ain't.

Been waning for a good long time now, though. And really, per the OP, there have been a ton of music related threads lately that were started in the members' lounge but really belong in the music forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back