When was last Orpheus on the market
Dec 9, 2008 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

b17m4p

100+ Head-Fier
Just curious about when, where and for how much it went for. Not that I'm at all in any position to look to buy one purely a curiosity/day-dreaming driven question. I don't think I've ever seen one for sale; although I don't really browse classifieds too often unless I'm looking for something specific so I guess that explains it at least partially.

Dec 9, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #2 of 53
There seems to be two systems for sale in the FS forum.
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs-he90-hev90-354627/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/ic...0-he90-366957/

One seller ask for offers above $13,500, the other $13,900

Dec 9, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #4 of 53
Waw. There were 300 of these made and there are two on the market right now? That seems ridiculous to me. I would have thought one pops up maybe every two years or so at the most. Maybe they're not all they're cut out to be.

Dec 9, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #5 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by b17m4p /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Waw. There were 300 of these made and there are two on the market right now? That seems ridiculous to me. I would have thought one pops up maybe every two years or so at the most. Maybe they're not all they're cut out to be.

Mmm I'd say that for the price they're asking for them you can set up a more than decent speakers rig, or buying a bunch of top notch dynamic headphones with an excellent matching player and amplifier, or getting a Stax OII with a superamp and source, and still have some money to spend on discs, attending concerts or whatever pleases you. My guess is that most people, apart from wealthy ones wanting to own and trying everything, would choose other options to spend that money, no matter how good and close to perfection the HE90 are. Maybe you're right and they're not that good to justify such price, or perhaps they're, but their cost is so high that only a very small minority would buy them. In these times of economical difficulties all over the world, only a few can consider USD13000+ as disposable income. I don't think that under these conditions finding them available means anything about their sound quality.

Dec 9, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #6 of 53
Quote:

$13.500 for a used set of headphones and a use amp. is a lot of money.

But then I thought the Sony R 10 on audiogone would be there for a while too?? ($5,000 Plus for a 20 year old set of headphones with no replacement drivers left from Sony)

My opinion is there is a lot of value here as far as u will have a piece of headphone history. The amp is extrodinary to look at and they sound great!

Just a thought but:...Thats half of what I paid for my Suburu 2008 WRX!!!

PS. I like what Cool Torpedo said about the economical difficulties all over the world too.

Dec 9, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #7 of 53
Well if you have:
1) The money
2) Auditioned and loved the sound of the Orpheus combo
3) The right system
4) Time to enjoy it

Then by all means, buy it!
biggrin.gif

For me I know all I have is #4...
frown.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #8 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
4) Time to enjoy it

Hey then really you're a rich man! Time to enjoy music is more important than the difference any component could possibly make
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #9 of 53
Quote:

Hey then really you're a rich man! Time to enjoy music is more important than the difference any component could possibly make
wink.gif

This is one of the most thoughtfull quotes I have read here!! I need to make this my thought for the morning!!!

Dec 9, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #10 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by indikator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and they are both unsold?
I thought high end headphones have really high demand here.....

Seems to be. At least no indication that they have been sold.
There are a high demand for High-End headphones around here. Most people don't have $13,500 to spare, even if looking for a High-End headphone. Especially not when a Stax SR-007, Jade, ... can be had for much less.

Quote:

I have never heard the Orpheus system, so can't comment on the sound or "all they're cut out to be".
But I can tell you that headphone systems ('phone and amplifier) for $13,500 have a limited market. Even around here...

A lot of money for most Head-Fi'ers.

Its quite a beauty though. So if you have the spare money go pick it up.
orphsmile.gif
smile.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #11 of 53
Quote:

Well if you have:
1) The money
2) Auditioned and loved the sound of the Orpheus combo
3) The right system
4) Time to enjoy it

Then by all means, buy it!
biggrin.gif

frown.gif

Well, lately I have none. Much less the first three.

Dec 10, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 53
I don't think I will ever be able to justify the price tag on an Orpheus (except maybe as an "investment"
wink.gif
)
However, as I can imagine is true of most people here, I want the chance to listen to a setup. If for nothing else, to have that experience

Quote:

wink.gif

Very powerful words there. One of the best quotes I've seen here yet

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #13 of 53
the Orpheus owners should start letting people audition their Orpheus for a little $$$ ..so they actually make money and the people get to audition them and feel satisfied to an extent.

good business idea rite?

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #14 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the Orpheus owners should start letting people audition their Orpheus for a little $$$ ..so they actually make money and the people get to audition them and feel satisfied to an extent.

good business idea rite?

Yes, but I think the myth would die that way. That or the sound is really {twodigit}K good and we would have a "the funniest joke in the world"-like effect.

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #15 of 53
Quote:

frown.gif

Imagine the poor sod who only has #1-3 ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back