When to go GR07 and when to go HA-FXT90?
Oct 31, 2011 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rtorres

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I decided to move up a notch for my next iem. I came from soundmagic PL11, which I found decent enough for its price. This is not a "which is better" thread, since based on reviews, both are really good performers.  I just want to know their difference in sound signature, like what type of music genres they perform best, and if I could enjoy them unamped using my ipt4 and nano 6th gen as a source. TIA
L3000.gif

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 5
Those are my sources as well and I own both phones.  Both drive the phones just fine.

The GR07 sound sig is a more balanced and monitor like and maybe just a hair more clarity than the FXT90.  To me the GR07 treble is pretty smooth being neither dark nor overly bright with decent sparkle but no air.  Mids are clear and a little forward.  Distortion guitars have really, really great bite.  The bass has little mid bass and mostly sub bass presence.  They really have good sub bass rumble and texture.  On the down side, the dynamic range is soft, which means less of a difference presented between powerful and delicate passages.  I believe this also attributes to it's shallow soundstage depth.  However it does have a very wide soundstage.

The FXT90 sound sig is more musical and layered.  The FXT90 treble is brighter with more sparkle than the GR07.  Mids are also a little forward and clear and can be more intimate when necessary.  The bass is equal parts mid bass and sub bass, so while it doesn't have quite the same rumble as the GR07, it does have more punch.  The FXT90 is very dynamic and very powerful in it's presentation.  It transitions easily from delicate to powerful passages.  The soundstage is only average in width but has excellent depth due to the greater dynamics, layering and reverb the dual drivers produce.  Instrument realism is superb and rivals that of it's big brother the FX700.

I think the FXT90 is a little more comfortable to wear and I like the cable better, as it is supple and easy to deal with.  The GR07 cable is stiffer and tougher to deal with but its housing is comfortable in it's own right, considering it contains an 11mm driver.

You really can't go wrong with either.  If you want a more monitor like presentation with more sub bass rumble, go with the GR07.  If you want a more powerful and musical presentation, go with the FXT90.  Or be like me and buy them both.

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #3 of 5
I'm deciding too between these too headphones, don't know which ones to buy now... What are the difference between the new GR07 and the old models? Some says that they are more bassy, right?

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #4 of 5
It's really impossible to say there are differences in batches of the gr07 without side by side comparison. Sonic memory is very fallible, especially with details that small. Also other outside factors can affect perception too, especially other phones you've been listening to since last hearing it. 

Nov 5, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #5 of 5

Nicely stated! The FXT90 sounds like a lot of fun!

Quote:
Those are my sources as well and I own both phones.  Both drive the phones just fine.

The GR07 sound sig is a more balanced and monitor like and maybe just a hair more clarity than the FXT90.  To me the GR07 treble is pretty smooth being neither dark nor overly bright with decent sparkle but no air.  Mids are clear and a little forward.  Distortion guitars have really, really great bite.  The bass has little mid bass and mostly sub bass presence.  They really have good sub bass rumble and texture.  On the down side, the dynamic range is soft, which means less of a difference presented between powerful and delicate passages.  I believe this also attributes to it's shallow soundstage depth.  However it does have a very wide soundstage.

The FXT90 sound sig is more musical and layered.  The FXT90 treble is brighter with more sparkle than the GR07.  Mids are also a little forward and clear and can be more intimate when necessary.  The bass is equal parts mid bass and sub bass, so while it doesn't have quite the same rumble as the GR07, it does have more punch.  The FXT90 is very dynamic and very powerful in it's presentation.  It transitions easily from delicate to powerful passages.  The soundstage is only average in width but has excellent depth due to the greater dynamics, layering and reverb the dual drivers produce.  Instrument realism is superb and rivals that of it's big brother the FX700.

I think the FXT90 is a little more comfortable to wear and I like the cable better, as it is supple and easy to deal with.  The GR07 cable is stiffer and tougher to deal with but its housing is comfortable in it's own right, considering it contains an 11mm driver.

You really can't go wrong with either.  If you want a more monitor like presentation with more sub bass rumble, go with the GR07.  If you want a more powerful and musical presentation, go with the FXT90.  Or be like me and buy them both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back