When the Hardware Vanishes
Apr 16, 2010 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Chrome Pumpkin

Head-Fier
I got my Purity Audio Caliente today, and have been listening most of the day. For the first time since getting into this headphone hobby I have finally experienced the disappearance of the gear, that point at which there is nothing to hear but the music.

I was sitting on my couch, lights off, listening to Mozart's Requiem, just immersed in the sound. I started to doze off a bit, and then suddenly snapped back fully awake during a huge crescendo of choir and orchestra. Instantly I reached out for the volume knob to turn down the music before I woke my parents down the hall! I couldn't help but laugh. The music was so huge, so real, so present, that I felt like the whole house could hear it. Just amazing.

What was the first setup that you ever heard that simply vanished? Or, perhaps more simply put: what was the first headphone setup that you did not hear?

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #2 of 8
My K601s did wonders to propel me deeper into this hobby and were quite easy to forget as they have a nice distant soundstage quality and were physically light enough that I've actually stood up and begun walking away from my computer before I realized that they were still on.

Upon seeing the thread title, I thought someone had stolen your equipment!

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 8
lol, I suppose I could have used a somewhat less misleading thread title! I've got to say, I'm so incredibly pleased with my system right now. What I'm worried about though, is when I start to wonder about more expensive gear. If this sounds this good, then what does that sound like?!

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 8
One thing I can say is that the KICAS is a great sounding amp for sure. Along with the HD 650 headphone the sound was very good. To improve on the sound look into good DAC's I guess. The PS Audio DLIII really opened up the soundstage.

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 8
I hope the mods don't delete this one, b/c it's fair game, I think - I heard looser101's Cambridge Audio 840C (had a VDA-2/VAC-1 at the time that I LOVED). Well, I sold the DAC and bought it. I wish I had the time/money to get a pair of T1's or HD800's to perfect my system, but man! what a difference source makes. what's more? I use the unit's DAC 100X more than the CD player using streamed lossless - and the CD player sounds cleaner than the DAC alone (Peter says it's due to lack of jitter in the CD connection).

And this is all through a pair of modded D5000's, not the most transparent headphone by far (trust me, check my sig to understand better).

Apr 16, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 8
The only DAC that I've ever heard (outside of onboard DACs in CD players) is my Firestone Audio Spitfire. When I ordered it I was half expecting to not hear much of a difference at all. However, when I hooked it up and gave it a listen I was quite impressed; the sound was much cleaner and more detailed than what I was listening to before. I'd love to hear some more expensive DACs to see what they offer, but that'll be sometime down the road.

Apr 17, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrome Pumpkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, I suppose I could have used a somewhat less misleading thread title! I've got to say, I'm so incredibly pleased with my system right now. What I'm worried about though, is when I start to wonder about more expensive gear. If this sounds this good, then what does that sound like?!

i thought this thread was gonna be about hardware disappearing..like getting stolen or something ><

Users who are viewing this thread

Back