When RS1 meets RA1
May 4, 2005 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

overlunge

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Since I first heard about Grado's RS-1, there's always RA-1 mentioned in the same thread. I acquired my RS-1 around end of January this year, and since then, I have been looking for an amplifier for RS-1. Today, I seen the light.
rs1smile.gif

On my journey, I tried my RS-1 with Rega:Ear, a CMoy, a Perreaux SXH2 and all of them failed, to a certain degree. I sold the Rega Ear. I still have the Cmoy, SXH2. And these are the ones I am comparing RA-1 with.

The following is my impression of the RA-1 comparing with One Amp, using only One Headphones, One IC and One Song.

Amps: Grado RA-1 (Battery Version), Perreaux SXH2
Headphones: Grado RS-1
The Song: "Hotel California" Track 6- Hell Freeze Over CD.
IC: Stouts Silver RCA 0.5m

Source: Sony DVP-NS530 (Not great, but will do)

SXH2

I have to use high gain to get decent volume out of the can. The bass note decay is a bit slower with this SXH2, therefore adds a bit more warmth to the music. (sorry if my vocabulary use is not good) Mid does sound abit congested, therfore the vocals seem to be less clear and standout.

RA-1

The bass note decay, and attack is 'clean', everything sounds a bit tighter and mid range became less congested therefore the vocal stands out a bit more than using SXH2. The sound of RS-1 is right HERE, clean, warm but not too warm, bass, and lush mid... drool... goose bumps.

I have not yet tried RA-1 with the rest of my headphones, but I have reserve about whether RA-1 can drive HP-2 adequately. I'll have to wait till I can bear to peel the RS-1 away from my ear...
rs1smile.gif

Some pictures to share the amps in action:

RS-1 & RA-1 United! Aren't they just meant to be!
RIMG0005.jpg

RA-1 Glam shot
RIMG0003.jpg

RA-1 and SXH2 side by side
RIMG0001.jpg

Thank you, I apologise for my disarticulated use of words when comes to sound...

Best of luck,
Overlunge

May 4, 2005 at 12:49 PM Post #2 of 30
Congratulations on your discovery! I felt pretty much the same way when I heard the RS-1/RA-1 combo. Your description of "less congested" midrange, particularly the lower midrange, is right on the money. No other amp that I've heard, and that's quite a few, does justice to the RS-1 like the RA-1 does. They all seem to give the RS-1 too much warmth in the lower mids/upper bass region, which intrudes too much on the rest of the mids.
The two Grado components really were made for each other. Enjoy.
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #3 of 30
Hi all,

I have just joined head-fi.org. I used to view posts on the head-fi.org and I must say that I find this forum very informative and helpful. Saying that, I would like to share my experience with RS1 headphones.

When I bought RS1 a year ago, I was also looking for the proper amp that would make them live up to their potential. And of course RA1 caught my interest. No I didn't buy RA1 but I built a clone (using better OpAmp though). Wow! The sound was amazing: fast, clear and sharp - much better than from my portable CD player and my home theater receiver.

But then I designed and built simple amp using discrete components. It is "single-ended" class A design. The sound is much different. I would describe it as "liquid", "smooth" but still very detailed with good (fast but not bloated) bass - sort of like a "tube sound". Yes, it makes the RS1 sound a bit (just a bit) more warm. But to me it sounds much more natural (especially on vocals and acoustic instruments) and is more enjoyable.

I think it is a matter of personal preferences and depends on the type of music you listen to. As it happens, I personally like smooth and detailed sound better than analytical and clear...

Cheers!

May 4, 2005 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 30
Welcome to Head-Fi, pbalcer!
Your statement, "I think it is a matter of personal preferences and depends on the type of music you listen to," rings very true, for me at least. Too often, people search for the "best" headphone or 'best" amp, but I've dicovered on my journey there is no "best," there's only "different." Which flavor you enjoy most is what this hobby is all about. I'm afraid there is no "Holy Grail."
I'm glad you're enjoying your RS-1 with whatever components sound best to you.
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2005 at 2:13 PM Post #5 of 30
I will not buy a RA-1! I just won't do it to my wallet.
biggrin.gif

My ppa is pretty good with the rs-1s though. Very fast attack and transparent sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2005 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbalcer
Hi all,

I have just joined head-fi.org. I used to view posts on the head-fi.org and I must say that I find this forum very informative and helpful. Saying that, I would like to share my experience with RS1 headphones.

When I bought RS1 a year ago, I was also looking for the proper amp that would make them live up to their potential. And of course RA1 caught my interest. No I didn't buy RA1 but I built a clone (using better OpAmp though). Wow! The sound was amazing: fast, clear and sharp - much better than from my portable CD player and my home theater receiver.

But then I designed and built simple amp using discrete components. It is "single-ended" class A design. The sound is much different. I would describe it as "liquid", "smooth" but still very detailed with good (fast but not bloated) bass - sort of like a "tube sound". Yes, it makes the RS1 sound a bit (just a bit) more warm. But to me it sounds much more natural (especially on vocals and acoustic instruments) and is more enjoyable.

I think it is a matter of personal preferences and depends on the type of music you listen to. As it happens, I personally like smooth and detailed sound better than analytical and clear...

Cheers!

Sounds like an intersting amp, do you have pics and more info?

May 4, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero

ra-1 w/ different opamp = basically a cmoy

Maybe not as interesting anymore? :p

Biggie.

May 4, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
ra-1 w/ different opamp = basically a cmoy

Maybe not as interesting anymore? :p

Biggie.

The designed amp spoken of was a "single ended, class A, all-discrete" affair--hardly a CMoy.

May 4, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero

I've got everything: pictures, schematics, pcb layout and PSpice simulation files. In fact, I'm assembling the second amp so I can use one at home and another one at the office. :)

In short: the amp is very simple - only 5 transistors. It works in "class A" with current feedback (very fast) and stable. It is powered from 12VDC and can deliver 70 mW to 30 ohm load (RS1) or 35 mW to 300 ohm load (HD600) - this is VERY loud (> 112 dB sound pressure - concert hall is about 110 dB, 120 dB can damage hearing after few minutes...). And it is completely quiet - no buzz or hum that I can hear with the pot set to max without input signal.

As I wrote before, I would describe the sound as liquid, smooth and detailed (maybe just a bit on the warm side). Well, it did actually happen (more than once - to be honest...) that I dozed off while listening to jazz through HD600 using this amp (there was only me and music - nothing in between). :)

I'm going to put the description on a website but first I have to find time to do that.

May 4, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
The designed amp spoken of was a "single ended, class A, all-discrete" affair--hardly a CMoy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbalcer
No I didn't buy RA1 but I built a clone (using better OpAmp though)

And yes, the opamp used is one of the things that makes a RA-1 a RA-1. Using a 'better' opamp turns it into a generic single non-inverting opamp amplifier. Whether that's for better or worse is another story.

May 4, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #11 of 30
pbalcer, instead of continuing to thread crap I sent you a private message to carry on the conversation.
rs1smile.gif

May 4, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #12 of 30
Hi all,

rs1smile.gif
LOL, I posted the thread and went to sleep and my RA-1 is being 'cloned'. I will be interested to hear opinions from others who has listen to both the original and the cloned version to comment on the differences, if at all.

Listening to Massive Attack's Mezzanine, with the combo at the moment. Transparent IS the word!

have a great day, you all
Overlunge

May 5, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #14 of 30
Personally I thought tubes were the way to go with RS-1... although they tend to get a bit muddy, i'm pretty sure tube rolling + using it as preamp instead of poweramp would fix things up nicely.

is this true about RA-1 being similar to cmoy? ouch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back