When Not To Use a DAC........
Jul 18, 2002 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jodokast

500+ Head-Fier
.....once you upgrade your source? Example: I"ve been looking at the Rega Planet 2000. Should I still use my "stock" ART DI/O with it?

Is there a point of evitability where the ART DI/O no longer improves?

Jul 18, 2002 at 1:40 AM Post #2 of 12
[size=small]STOP RIGHT THERE![/size]

Before you get that Rega Planet, auditon an Arcam CD72 (or CD62)!

If it doesn't blow the Rega out of the water, you have weird ears or didn't bring your headphones/amp and are listening on a system that you dont know.

And to answer your question, the ART DI/O stops improving when *you* feel the CD player sound better without it.

Jul 18, 2002 at 2:14 AM Post #3 of 12
well, ill be receiving an ART DIO to use with my arcam cd72 very soon. if you can wait a month or so i can give you my impression on how the two compares.

i hope the ART its an improvement over the arcam cd72 dac. i would imagine it to be so from the reviews. fingers crossed. i am guessing but i dont think its worth upgrading the rega planet 2k when you already have the art.

i think the MF a3.2cd would be a nice upgrade though..
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2002 at 3:21 AM Post #4 of 12
Who knows; Arcam players are very well known for their DACs. (mainly the Alpha 9, CD92, and CD23 which have the dCS Ring DACs) Fortunately, you can upgrade the CD72 to a CD92 by sticking in a new DAC, and get HDCD to boot. That's my next source upgrade
biggrin.gif
(whenever I happen to have $900 handy...)

Jul 18, 2002 at 3:26 AM Post #5 of 12
Well, the DAC is just one part. What about all that jitter stuff guys?
Thanks for the reference to Arcam btw.
wink.gif

Checking their stuff out now...

Jul 18, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 12
from what i have read, both the arcam and rega has a very solid built transport. that was one of the main reason why i choosed the arcam.

Jul 18, 2002 at 10:59 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Before you get that Rega Planet, auditon an Arcam CD72 (or CD62)!

If it doesn't blow the Rega out of the water, you have weird ears or didn't bring your headphones/amp and are listening on a system that you dont know.

i don't have weird ears damnit and i like my rega planet!

oh well, time to upgrade to a cary 306/200..

Jul 18, 2002 at 10:59 AM Post #8 of 12
grr..

oh and getting a new cd player in the ~$800 is the perfect excuse to ditch the art dio. it'll probably sound better.. if you're really looking to keep the art dio, i'd say get the monarchy dip and keep your current transport.. or just get a transport with less jitter and not a full cd player.

Jul 18, 2002 at 7:26 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch

i don't have weird ears damnit and i like my rega planet!

LOL! That rhymes... But the Rega Planet isn't hard to like; heck, if I hadn't tried the Arcam, I would have gone with the Rega. It's got a very "audiophileish" sound.

But of course I tried the Arcam, and the Rega Planet was blown out of the water...

Jul 19, 2002 at 8:14 PM Post #11 of 12
People (including me) have had great experience with the cheap Pioneer DVD players, they work quite well and are good for the budget minded... honestly I can't tell a difference when I connect the ART to the pioneer or to my Audiophile 24/96...

Jul 19, 2002 at 8:17 PM Post #12 of 12
so then you think I shouldn't upgrade my source? I was planning on buying a higher-end amp, i.e. RKV, headmaster, however I was warned that the details would be very revealing........especially if I was on a poor source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back