When Kernel Streaming any sound stops playback...
Sep 9, 2004 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Illah

1000+ Head-Fier
Sorry if I'm making so many topics, I have LOTS of questions
smily_headphones1.gif

So anyway, with Foobar Kernel streaming, any other sound stops playback. If I click on a link in IE and it makes that little 'click' noise, or if I get an IM, it'll no longer play. Foobar is processing the file, but no sound. Any way to avoid this?

--Illah

Sep 9, 2004 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 12
I think it has to go through a mixer of some sort either kmixer or if the soundcard has one.

If you use kmixer, it's basically automatic but you'd need to have all the programs use directsound. This is what you'd do on a chaintech.

If you use the onboard soundcard one, you could dhave the programs use different methods like winamp/foobar using ASIO and windows use directsound. This is how you'd mix it let's say on an emu.

The chaintech doesn't have real ASIO support. ASIO4ALL is just a wrapper I believe which uses kernel streaming. Directsound and kernel streaming conflict I believe KS wants exclusive access so you can't really do both at once. Besides it would work anyway because KS wants to bypass kmixer and DS wants to go through it.

Sep 9, 2004 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah
Sorry if I'm making so many topics, I have LOTS of questions
smily_headphones1.gif

So anyway, with Foobar Kernel streaming, any other sound stops playback. If I click on a link in IE and it makes that little 'click' noise, or if I get an IM, it'll no longer play. Foobar is processing the file, but no sound. Any way to avoid this?

--Illah

My solution: turned off my system sounds. I like kernel streaming and would rather use that than have clicks.

Sep 9, 2004 at 10:52 PM Post #5 of 12
Also try with disabled onboard LAN and RAID controller.

Sep 9, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 12
I've edited my message above to more detail.

Jul 23, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #9 of 12
I had this problem with the M-Audio drivers. With the E-Mu drivers everything works great (including 4 hours of World of Warcraft with the sound on while playing FLACs from Foobar with ASIO output).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back