when is the level of capacitance in a cable too high?
Oct 17, 2003 at 6:39 AM Post #16 of 26
Yet it's always interesting how measurements and specs have little bearing on real world results…

Oct 19, 2003 at 5:59 AM Post #19 of 26
According to Cardas' specs, the neutral reference has a capacitance of 19pf/ft (they post it on their website). Though Cardas' midline interconnects have higher capacitance than their lowest end ones, go figure.

Oct 22, 2003 at 4:26 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Tom M
72.0 pF/ft 236.2 pF/Meter Between Conductors 90.5 pF/ft 296.8 pF/Meter with grounded shield.

Too high. But, what do they sound like?

Oct 22, 2003 at 11:49 PM Post #22 of 26
The simple answer it that capacitance usually is of no concern if you don't have very long interconnects.

The more complicated answer it that capacitance can be a problem if it is too high and then affect the frequency curve. The German magazin Stereoplay has a formula for maximum capacitance.

C(max) = 450000 / R / L

C(max) is the maximum acceptable capacitance in pikofarads
R = the output impedance of the source (CDP etc) in ohm
L = the length of the cable in meters

My own CDP has an impedance of 200 ohm at the RCA output. Assuming a 1 meter length we can take away the L term

C (max) = 450000 / R

R = 200 gives a max capacitance of 2250 pikoforad. It is extremely hard to find a cable with that value for a meter. The magazine has measured some cables. All Kimber and Nordost fall under 100 per meter and Audioquest Diamondback is 189. The awfully expensive NBS Monitor III has the highest value, 771. Still, I could have three meters of this cable.
The only problem should be if you have a component with high output impedance and / or very long interconnects.

There was no relation between the capacitance of the cables and their audio quality.

Oct 23, 2003 at 2:24 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Anders
There was no relation between the capacitance of the cables and their audio quality.

That's true for line ic use - but I'd definitely look for very low capacity for phono ic use in combination with mm cartridges...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 23, 2003 at 2:07 PM Post #24 of 26
lini, thanks for the clarification. I only thought of the case of a line level source as CDP connected to an amp. Turntables are different in many ways.
I use the Incognito wire kit for my turntable and think this is a good option. It is a single length of wire from cartridge to phono preamp without any plugs or soldering that could affect the connection.

Greetings from Malmö!
Anders

Oct 25, 2003 at 2:37 AM Post #25 of 26
Anders: You're welcome. I thought, I'd better mention it, because Tom M hadn't mentioned the particular purpose...

Did you already read the most recent issue of Stereoplay, btw? The newly reviewed Clearaudio Emotion looks highly alluring...

More greetings back from Munich!
wink.gif

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back