When is Headphone “High End”
Jan 19, 2024 at 8:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

ChilleKasper

New Head-Fier
I’m new here. It’s also my first topic. I searched if there was a similar topic. But I’m wandering: when can an headset be considered “high end”.

Is it pure because of the money you have payed for the product? As example headphones more than $1000,- are high end? Or is it pure sound and/or build quality?

Jan 19, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #2 of 20
I’m new here. It’s also my first topic. I searched if there was a similar topic. But I’m wandering: when can an headset be considered “high end”.

Is it pure because of the money you have payed for the product? As example headphones more than $1000,- are high end? Or is it pure sound and/or build quality?
High end is what it says: the products from the higher end of what the market offers. If we forget the most budget options and those few extreme summit-fi offerings, we could say about 95% of 'audiophile' headphones fall between $500 and $6000. I would consider 'high end' the upper half of this price bracket, so $3000+ headphones.
There are no strict rules though and what 'high end' means can also depend on context. This is just my rough interpretation.

Jan 19, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #3 of 20
Easy one! It is when a forum member starts a thread on the headphone model in the High-end Audio Forum. Seriously.
I asked this in a different way years ago and that is about where it got to. If a mod doesn't like where something is posted it will get moved, in theory. Better answer might be it is the latest, greatest, FOMO headphone with an entry price fitting the equally elusive amp considered high end. Totally subjective and in the eyes of the beholder. I don't think you can place a price line as abilities to pay, and willingness, vary too widely.

Jan 19, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #4 of 20
For me, price is not the metric which announces the achievement of 'high end'. If a designer intends / seeks to advance the state of the art at a given 'price point', that is 'high end'.

Jan 19, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #5 of 20
There are exceptions to the products! Not everything that costs over 500 dollars has to be high-end.

For example, I would describe the Hifiman HE400SE as high-end in terms of sound quality. However, workmanship and quality are not high end. It's more a Low End headphone regarding the price, with a High End sound.

Jan 19, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #6 of 20
There are exceptions to the products! Not everything that costs over 500 dollars has to be high-end.

For example, I would describe the Hifiman HE400SE as high-end in terms of sound quality. However, workmanship and quality are not high end. It's more a Low End headphone regarding the price, with a High End sound.
I keep these in mind if I see them somewhere.

Jan 19, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #8 of 20

Here is an inverse example supporting your point. Costs equal to $5,700 USD with taxes in my area. They recently sold out.
Many reviews and general comments on these are not suggestive of high end sound quality, nor are many of the posted graphs. Probably mediocre overall.
Solid build quality but for a couple of troubling posts on failed magnesium frames. The waters are muddy.
There is an almost local demo pair I may give a go one day.

Yamaha YH-5000SE​

Jan 19, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #9 of 20
A pair of headphones that sit really high on your head. People with big heads have an advantage.

Jan 19, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #10 of 20
... while people with big egos think they have an advantage ... 😳😯😪 ...

Jan 19, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #11 of 20
Here is an inverse example supporting your point. Costs equal to $5,700 USD with taxes in my area. They recently sold out.
Many reviews and general comments on these are not suggestive of high end sound quality, nor are many of the posted graphs. Probably mediocre overall.
Solid build quality but for a couple of troubling posts on failed magnesium frames. The waters are muddy.
There is an almost local demo pair I may give a go one day.

Yamaha YH-5000SE​

A great HP imho (and during the short time I was given the chance to listen to it, powered by a 'lowly' RME adi-2 ). I enjoyed this so much more than Focal's latest Utopia (powered by a Naim Unity Atom Headphone).

To me, these embody High End (and stupid money for a headphone). I probably should add that most of my friends would think spending 200 quid on a headphone is daft.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #12 of 20
For me, price is not the metric which announces the achievement of 'high end'. If a designer intends / seeks to advance the state of the art at a given 'price point', that is 'high end'.
IMO, High end is the product that performs well in comparison to other, not just subjectivities but by references and standards. Sennheiser HD800s Is definitely High-End, and Summit-Fi

Jan 20, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #13 of 20
Well, in general term, high end should be a product with high quality in term of build, performance and design. Most often than not, of course come with higher (than average) price tag too.

Is a $100 headphone with $10,000 worth of sound quality may become high end? Really depend on how they perform in term of points above (not just sound). You may call the headphone has "high end" sound quality, doesn't mean it's really high end product (if build poorly, bad material, poor ergonomic, extremely fragile, no consistency in sound between products, etc, then it's not a high end product).

Jan 20, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #14 of 20
High end is a combination of different factors.

From an engineering standpoint, high-end usually means little to no compromise. You build the best that you can and don't think much about the cost. Though sometimes it means expensive and complicated for the sake of expensive and complicated.

From a marketing standpoint, high-end simply means expensive and targeted at rich buyers. This could be something that is engineered with no compromise, but it could just as easily mean something cheap to build that's dressed up or simply marketed as high end, with a big price tag. A lot of high-end products fit into this category, sadly.

Then there's the public perception standpoint. High-end could simply mean something that buyers consider to be as good as it can be, and which comes with prestige.

Note that this perception often changes over time. There was a time when the HD650 was considered high-end, but these days they're ubiquitous and considered mid-fi. Have they gotten any worse sounding since they were considered high-end? No, but public perception has changed.

Marketing definitely plays a huge role in public perception, but it doesn't always work as intended. Sometimes marketing backfires, and sometimes things develop a following all on their own.

Combine these factors in some way, and you have something that is high-end. Also, note that not all of these factors apply equally to every high-end product. Finally, you can have all of these factors absolutely apply, and yet end up with something that absolutely does not perform anywhere as well as cheaper, more common offerings. High-end and high performance aren't always the same thing.

P.S. It's also important to note that when it comes to sound, confirmation bias goes a long way. You see something with a crazy pricetag, and you say to yourself "this has got to be good." Then you listen to it, and whatever sound comes out of it, you tell yourself "this is what really good sounds like" regardless of whether or not it actually is. As for learning what really good actually is, that takes quite a bit of experience and time, and maybe a bit of luck, and it doesn't always match up with how high end something is.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #15 of 20
How many questions do you answer yes too?

* If you hide the cost from your significant other

* Your willing to spend big money to get the most out of them

* You feel you've scored points over your friends/rivals

* Because you bought them - you believe your tastes are exquisite

* You actually think these are so amazing you may be buried with them

Yes to 3 or more, it's "high end", 5? You are possessed - take a step back!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back