When I woke up I didnt expect to own 2 more headphones..
Feb 5, 2002 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

M Rael

500+ Head-Fier
Well I just got off the telephone-machine, and it turns out I just talked myself into owning two more pairs of headphones. I'm now the proud owner of the Grado HP1000, and the Stax SR-X electrostatic. Its funny the way headphones keep coming to me to be bought..
why do headphones keep coming to me to be bought??

Feb 5, 2002 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 11
Congratulations, Mark, on your new acquisitions. Now you can bend the HP-1000 headband so it fits properly, and you can hear what those babies can do
biggrin.gif

And to think, that, a short while ago you were happily going to work listening to your MDR-F1s. Simpler times, huh? Definitely less expensive times! This place is evil, I tell you....EVIL!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 5, 2002 at 7:02 AM Post #3 of 11
Well the HP1000 I admired right away for its build and looks, sort of like Ms. February in the latest issue of.. nevermind. Anyway I am really really happy to now own that headphone. I washed the earpads, so that and the headband-bending should make things nice and comfy.

I had to clean up the Stax earpads too, but in this case it was because the thin outer covering of the pads was deteriorating so badly I just scratched it all off. The basic pads are in great shape though. I'm running the Stax's off my VTL mono blocks, in triode mode, and the sound-- especially in the midrange and treble, is astonishing. Its true what people say about 'electrostatic sound'. The low frequencies may be rolled off compared to dynamic headphones, but the power with which they get HF information is awesome. I was listening to Glenn Gould play piano, and it sounds for the most part like a duet is being performed.. thats how clearly and distinctly you hear Glenn humming along as he plays. If theres a drawback in this instance its only that Glenn Gould is no Pavarotti.
I'm experimenting with equalizing the Stax's to bring out more bass, and the results are good.

Feb 5, 2002 at 7:20 AM Post #5 of 11
Thanks headster! These Stax SR-X's are ancient, man. I think Nixon was still president when they came out. But they arent damaged in any way and I'm pretty impressed with them. The bass isnt totally missing in action, but its helped by a little EQ. Especially with the grunge and ceiling drippings I like to refer to as my 'music collection.'

Thanks again. I'll do a search of Omega II; I'm not familiar with it.

Feb 5, 2002 at 7:27 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by M Rael

Thanks again. I'll do a search of Omega II; I'm not familiar with it.

Heh heh. After envying M Rael for the past couple weeks it will be nice to see him want for something.

Kelly

Feb 5, 2002 at 10:59 AM Post #7 of 11
Stax Bass
I have mentioned this before with no response.
With my 404 phones lifting the lower rear corner of the pad/phone
away from the head by about 3-5mm added a good deal more
bass weight without boom or bloom.
It may be down to head shape and with slight adjustment the
effect can be tuned to taste.
At present I use little tissue spacers but I expect to obtain some
more pads and modify them at some point.

Do try it may be preferable to EQ.

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2002 at 2:38 PM Post #8 of 11
Kelly: I still 'want' for an amp. Wanna take a pair of Grado 325's and some cash for that one you have??

Thanks for the tip setmenu.

M

Feb 5, 2002 at 5:57 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
. Simpler times, huh? Definitely less expensive times! This place is evil, I tell you....EVIL!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Thoreau summed it up the best-"He is richest whose pleasures are simplest".

matthew

Feb 5, 2002 at 6:50 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by mackay maus
Thoreau summed it up the best-"He is richest whose pleasures are simplest".

What? He who dies with the least toys wins??
-or-
The rich can afford to have simple pleasures; the poor are stuck with them.
-or-
'That validates my Hustler magazine subscription. Thanks Thoreau!'
-or-
"He is poorest whoes pleasures involve yachts, lear jets, and mansions. No, really. I'm serious!"
-or-
Does farting count??

Feb 5, 2002 at 7:40 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

M Rael said...

What? He who dies with the least toys wins??

Not really relevent, but I have a shirt that says, "He who dies with the most frags wins."
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back