When I smile really wide, my IEM tips crinkle in my ear.
Apr 21, 2010 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jaieger

Head-Fier
and this annoys me. LOL seriously speaking though, does this mean i should use smaller tips or something? but it sometimes happens with the smallest tips I have too, and it kinda bugs me, and if i had a good seal going, i get irritated and take it out and reinsert and then i feel like i lost the seal and yeah..

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 11
That might be helped with deeper insertion and smaller tips, but then it's hard to say because ears come in so many different shapes. Try not to smile so wide?
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 11
Hah, but then that means my IEMs aren't doing their job
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #4 of 11
Don't smile wide? :p

But I don't think there is much you can do to avoid this, since smiling, and more so for wide smiles, shift around the ear canals which is what breaks the seal; though I'd think you wouldn't have to reinsert every time, and that the seal would come back (but I'm not sure on that)

As for tips: just use the ones that fit the best, sound the best, and provide the best seal. Just cycle through all the tips you have until you find a pair that feel good, and provide a good seal, and then plug them and see how they sound. Assuming everything is good just leave them on the IEMs.

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #5 of 11
I think moreso you're just feeling the loss of the pressure created when you inserted them rather than them actually losing seal, and since you're used to the pressure it would feel like they have lost the seal.

Apr 21, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #7 of 11
I had the same problem with my Sennheiser IE7. If i was eating or when I was smiling, the get lose in my ear. That was with the normal silicone tips. I tried the foam tips and then the problem completely disappeard. So I can really recommend some Foam tips from comply (I used the default sennheiser foam tips)
I've also no longer problems with wet ears from the tips. I can even eat with the IEMs in my ears.

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Negakinu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't smile at all. Ever. Hi-fi is serious business. Smiling is mid-fi.

That made me laugh, good one!

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #10 of 11
I use to get this with cheaper dynamic driver IEMs, I think it was the drivers flexing.. I'd also get the crackle nose when I inserted them. It never went away, but.. I can tell you armature drivers will probably get rid of the crackle business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back