When does the point of diminishing returns apply for IEMs?
May 17, 2009 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Thrashingshrimp

100+ Head-Fier
I've been thinking, instead of saving up for the big guys (TF10, SE530, UM3X, etc.), why don't I think a little smaller? I'm no audiophile, and while I can still discern the difference between an iBud, and say a PK3, whenever I read the posts around here, it seems as if you guys seem make the more expensive IEMs not sound their cost (if you know what I mean). For example, I have seen threads comparing $100 IEMs with $300 IEMs, and while many of you agreed that the 300 dollar ones were better, the impressions kind of made them seem as if they were close.

Anyway, I'm blabbing. Just tell me whether or not it's worth it to save up for the bigger IEMs or I should just buy a decent-priced one and be happy.

May 17, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 22
Well, it depends on the top-tier phone you eventually buy. I feel the Westone 3s are worth the price difference, although I did score them relatively cheaply ($260). Even so, they do outpace my other phones by a decent margin in all ways (comfort, SQ, no microphonics, etc.). And, this is another caveat, with the best mid-priced phone I owned (the PFEs), they required a decent amp to reach their true potential in my view. Not so for the W3s.

Another consideration is how you use them. If it's for traveling, and you are reading or doing some other distracting activity, then the difference is less important. If you are sitting back in a chair, eyes closed, critically listening, then the difference is probably worth it.

Finally, there is source. If your rips are lossless, and you listen to very high-quality productions, then that also could make the higher priced spread worth the added dollars. If it's an unamped Clip (just as an example) with 160 or 192 rips, not so much. In fact, less expensive phones might make even more sense under those listening conditions.

May 17, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 22
I say buy a decent pair of mid-priced IEM's like Klipsch Custom 3's or Jays Q-Jays and use the money saved for something else, like pizza.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 22
Well as in anything i would say that the law of diminishing returns is very subjective. It is when an individual feels that the price of the next upgrade or purchase is not worth the improvement.

I don't like IEM's my ears just dont work with them...but i always suggest starting of lower and then working your way up. But of course the choice is yours

May 17, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 22
The way I tend to make this decision, whenever I buy tech stuff (which is often): Ask yourself the question: "If I buy something midrange instead of the high-end, am I going to be unsatisfied or curious in 6 months and need to upgrade?" If the answer is yes, you might be better off skipping the middle step and going right to whatever you're really wanting. If you're the type of person who can buy a "good enough" piece of technology and enjoy it for its good points, then I'd say save the money.

I am also curious how big the differences are, and whether people who tout the high-end have actually done honest comparisons with the less expensive parts. As a specific example, when newbies on head-fi ask about the Shure SE420, the answer is almost always "get the SE530". But does the second woofer in the SE530 really make a big difference? Has anyone done a head to head comparison between the two to see how much of a difference there is? (I know some people here have really heard lots of different parts, but on any internet board there tends to be a certain amount of conjecture going on.)

I think in some cases the high end part really is a big improvement, but in other cases, there might be a placebo effect happening. ("This is a $400 part, so it must be better".)

$.02,

Harley.

May 17, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 22
I have to say that I disagree with abellaw, for IMO you should save up and go for the top
of the top (not customs, those are over-the-top) so you'll not have that nagging feeling
when you buy a lower-end IEM, that curiosity, the NEED to know just how much a
higher-end IEM sounds better than yours. Plus, a good low-end is around 50-100 US dollars,
another 3 or 4 times of that money and you can pick from the IE8, UM3X, Westone 3, shure 530,
ck10, etc.

May 17, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by decay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to say that I disagree with abellaw, for IMO you should save up and go for the top
of the top (not customs, those are over-the-top) so you'll not have that nagging feeling
higher-end IEM sounds better than yours. Plus, a good low-end is around 50-100 US dollars,
another 3 or 4 times of that money and you can pick from the IE8, UM3X, Westone 3, shure 530,
ck10, etc.

But what about those of us who don't get that nagging feeling?
wink.gif

I'm also somewhat confused by how you casually say "3 or 4 times [the] money" as if it doesn't make a difference to some people...

May 17, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also curious how big the differences are, and whether people who tout the high-end have actually done honest comparisons with the less expensive parts. As a specific example, when newbies on head-fi ask about the Shure SE420, the answer is almost always "get the SE530". But does the second woofer in the SE530 really make a big difference? Has anyone done a head to head comparison between the two to see how much of a difference there is? (I know some people here have really heard lots of different parts, but on any internet board there tends to be a certain amount of conjecture going on.)

I think in some cases the high end part really is a big improvement, but in other cases, there might be a placebo effect happening. ("This is a $400 part, so it must be better".)

$.02,

Harley.

Bingo. Most people on tech forums behave this way (and I've been guilty of it more often than I'd like to admit). How many of us just know that UE SF5EB or Senn HD485 have way too much bass, or just know that the Phonaks sound excellent, without ever having heard them? It extends to other areas too. Krell amps sound better than Emotiva. I'm sure these cables would make an improvement in my system. Ford Mustangs have a live rear axle so they are garbage. 1080P is a must even on a 42" screen.

People don't spend nearly enough time going out and looking/listening/driving things for themselves. And even when they do, they bring an enormous confirmation bias with them that prevents them from experiencing anything different than what they have already been told.

May 17, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

ck10, etc.

I think you make some good points, maybe i misinterpreted the OP, but i got the impression that he had never tried any IEMs. I always think it is good to start off with something low so you can see what you like and go from there. Because it is always easy to get recommendations from people on this forum. But those recommendations mean so much more with a point of reference.

But i guess even if one bought something they didn't like they could sell it here and hardly lose any money.

Also i think that the need to know exists at any level, no matter how much your gear costs there is alway some curiosity to hear what the next level sounds like.

May 18, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #11 of 22
Personal ideas. Once I find a flaw in my system, it's all I hear. It's terrible. If you can just lay back and listen to the warmth of an excellent system without hearing what could be better, power to you. *that's not worded fairly, please bear with me*

May 18, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

ck10, etc.

it works two-ways really. i have bought top nearly every time since the um2 years ago. eventually, i wanted to try the middle and bought a load of mid-tier iems and found that the difference between them was really very small or sometimes non-existent.

it depends on the person.

May 18, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personal ideas. Once I find a flaw in my system, it's all I hear. It's terrible. If you can just lay back and listen to the warmth of an excellent system without hearing what could be better, power to you. *that's not worded fairly, please bear with me*

For me, whether this is true depends on exactly how good something is, and what mood I'm in, and also the content. For example, I've got a projector. The color is great, the screen is very large, it's HD, and I've got it focused well. But it's a couple of years old, 720p, middle of the road in contrast, and the lamp is getting dim. If the plot of a movie is good enough, I can really enjoy it anyway. If a movie gets boring, all I start thinking about it whether the picture is any good. And I'll eventually upgrade because of that. Oh, also when people come over that aren't techies, they think it's a great picture.

It's the same way with audio. If a song is great and I'm in a musical mood, I won't ever complain about a "good enough" system. But if I'm in a techie mood instead of a musical mood, or the music doesn't fit my mood, all I think about is whether the sound is any good. Which, on my Klipsch X10's, the answer usually turns out to be "yes, that sounds great". So there is definitely a level that is "good enough". But do I still wonder what better earphones sound like? Well, yeah.

That's a slightly long, slightly rambling way to try to explain that "good enough" can vary by content and mood, and is a very personal thing, IMO.

May 18, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #14 of 22
Purely personal opinion, but to me it starts right around Phonak/Turbine price range.

May 18, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #15 of 22
we have reached it...and this comes from a guy with way more IEM's than i need!and expensive ones at that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back