When doctors clean ears, what do they do?
Jun 4, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #61 of 63
Items needed for ear cleaning:

1. Cleaning Rod, at least as long as the length from one end of the ear to the other ear.
2. Cleaning Patches
3. Solvent, whether it's Hoppes 9 or some other good solvent, it doesn't matter.
4. Wire brush attachment
5. Patch loop attachment
6. Oil (spray can)

Here are the steps required:

1. Attach a patch to the looped rod attachment, attach it to the rod, saturate the patch with Hoppes Solvent, and run the patch through the ear an out of the other ear. Let solvent work on fouling for 15-30 minutes. There is no danger ear tube etching, so you can leave solvent in ears overnight if you want. Wipe off any misplaced solvent from face and head.

2. Run the wire brush through the ears several times to loosen any stubborn fouling.

3. Spray the oil into the ears, attach a dry patch to the looped rod attachment, and attach it to the rod.  Run the dry patch through the ears.  Repeat this procedure until patches are clean.

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #62 of 63
 when I went to the doctor one afternoon, the nurse cleaned out my left ear with some warm water that she flushed into my ear and a lot of wax came out and I was able to hear. It was as if it was my first time hearing. It was great.
redface.gif

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #63 of 63
After two incidents (well, after just the first) of my usign a Q-tip to push wax deeper (initially in smaller amounts over time) my ENT just banned me from cleaning my own ears. He really doesn't recommend anything beyond a damp, soft cloth and one finger because you really can't see what the heck you're doing, and recommends me to come in every nine to twelve months (I'm already due actually). When I do get cleaning  done all he's had to do so far is just use that tiny vacuum cleaner. I tried to get one so I can avoid driving over to his clinic, ut my friend in med school said the cost would be a heck of a lot more than just driving over there.

Lucky for me, his wife has been my pediatrician since birth, and if you've been a patient long enough they don't charge a dime (I just bring them some nice pastries).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back