When do you go from 'enthusiast' or collector to 'hoarder'
Nov 26, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #76 of 102
There is no arbitrary number. Invest in your downtime. Joy has no limit. Above all, do what makes you happiest.
well yeah BUT. but in chasing the "joy has no limit" we can end up with oollections that are too big. cumbersome. expensive. wasteful. and hard to enjoy due to the clutter and over-choice. chasing happiness out too far can end up making us less happy.

PS great thread!

Dec 16, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #77 of 102
Haha! fun to see this thread is still going! Going to pick up a better pair of IEM's from Alibaba or China, although my Kinera Iem's are pretty good so far. Have to admit to being a bit of a hoarder here, with 6 cans so far. Guilty as charged!

Dec 16, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #78 of 102
Albeitly low budget, with my modi/magni stack and hd600 I think I've come to the end of the road. That's as hi-fi as I want to get. More than that and chasing incrementally small gains. My ears literally can't hear the difference. But absolutely see the tempation to go really hi-fi and spend a grand on cans or a stack, just so you can be sure you have the best possible. So you can tell yourself, 'well I bought the most expensive thing out there, now no need to go further'. Can see that also. But my ears are not that good! So will leave it to you guys to get the eye-wateringly expensive dacs and preamps and amps and cans. Let me know if it makes a difference! Haha to be honest, what is the difference between a 100 dollar DAC and 1000 dollar DAC? There seems to be a bit of hysteria! Amps yes I get that. And tubes vs solid state, absolutely. But spending tons of money on a DAC? Really? Well happy xmas and nye from Norway! And happy hi-fiing! Always the best place to exchange knowledge of all things hi-fi, good to be back after hiatus, and still the best place for all things hi-fi. Truly a great community! Over and out!

Dec 16, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #79 of 102
i only have my 109 pro and 660s 2 + my fiio fh5s which i barley use
i sold my sundara and dt 1770 pro to a good friend of mine for cheap so he is very happy with it.

i dont see myself spending overly much on new gear any time soon for another ****ed up reasons i am in right now. but in 10 years maybe? time will see...

Dec 16, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #80 of 102
I'm pretty new into this hobby and my collection is decidedly mid-fi, but I find myself prioritizing 3 of my headphones over and over, with the remainder getting head time out of "guilt" now and then because I haven't touched them in a while.

Even if my collection moves upmarket and I get some nicer cans, I suspect the same dynamic will persist: I'll listen to a few of them regularly while the others collect dust. So for me at least, a half dozen (3 regulars and 3 novelties) is probably the limit beyond which I'd be pointlessly hoarding.

Dec 29, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #81 of 102
That's where I'm at now, 6 cans, of which 3 mostly collect dust. Beyond that I too am hoarding..crap..basically hoarding already. Happy NYE everyone! Happy hoarding!

Dec 29, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #82 of 102
Well can't hoard enough! Bit the bullet and finally picked up Bose QuietComfort cans..not for the sound but for noise-cancelling on a Dubai-Sydney 14 hour trip. Was 3500 nok or around in real dollars 344 real pesos. Used IEM's til now. Bit worried about ear-damage etc, but should be ok. Otherwise I'm completely wrecked by the time I arrive in Sydney with 3 hours sleep after 28 hours travel. Well we try this! Have high hopes! Sony xm5 was another option.

Dec 29, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #83 of 102
Yeah this was another option sony wh-1000xm5 less pressure on the ears. And better sound.

Dec 30, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #84 of 102
I ,nowadays, have one open and one closed back (Elite and Rognir planar). I have a Modhouse Tungsten on the way and we will see if it stays or boots the Elite….or will I keep 2 opens LOL.

2 channel has the bulk of my dedicated audio $$$$ now.

Dec 30, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #85 of 102
I find myself listening to only one or two headphones, although I usually own at any given time four to five. DACs, never more than one and amps, one to two.

Dec 30, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #86 of 102
This forum is dangerous for my wallet. Already in this last month I spent over 7,000 USD on headphones and source gears. I keep telling myself I’m done but I keep buying… uggg there goes this week’s paycheck.

To answer the original question: you go from collector to hoarder when your gear cost more than a month’s paycheck.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #87 of 102
This forum is dangerous for my wallet. Already in this last month I spent over 7,000 USD on headphones and source gears. I keep telling myself I’m done but I keep buying… uggg there goes this week’s paycheck.

To answer the original question: you go from collector to hoarder when your gear cost more than a month’s paycheck.
I disagree as one headphone could cost that much LOL.

Jan 8, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #89 of 102
Well I can see having one open-backed pair of cans, and one closed-back cans, and a pair of travelling cans. Well picked up latest Bose QuietComfort here for 14 hour flight, not for the music but for the noise cancelling. But have to admit am a bit of a hoarder, with 6+ cans, for no real reason. Well yepp have some IEMS of course. And some Schiidt dacs and amps. Well just have to confess to be a bit of a hoarder! Of course all those cans have different sound-signatures! And I have to have them ALL! Hehe just like collecting guitars (bad there also!). Well he'p me there brothers and sisters! I suffer from the HOARDER symptom!

Jan 8, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #90 of 102
6 guitars and counting, but nothing compared with a mate who has around 20! It's a frigging disease!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back