When do you go from 'enthusiast' or collector to 'hoarder'
Nov 10, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #31 of 102
One more (last🙏?) thought on ‘enthusiast’ versus ‘hoarder’ pertaining to audio gear. The enthusiast intends to use the gear; the hoarder has no such intention. 🤔

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #32 of 102
Nov 10, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #34 of 102
Hi, it's a common issue I guess...I have plenty of headphones and iems even if I am trying to limit myself to...the essentials... :)

closed dynamic > Fostex TH-X00 - Focal Elegia - ZMF Atticus
open dynamics > searching...
closed planar > MrSpeakers' Ether CX
open planar > Sash Audio Tres and Hifiman HE-4XX
IEMs > Empire Ears Cerberus 3 > Campfire Audio Honeydew > about 3 KZ models

and a some other of other old cans, like Koss ESP6, Koss MV1, Stax SR-5N and Stax SRX-MKIII, AKG K270, Pioneer SE-MJ591 but I might be missing some other headphones that I am now forgetting..

Basically, to complete the reply, I would like to limit myself to one pair of headphones by category, that is one dynamic closed, one open, one planar closed and one open, plus, hopefully an Electrostat totl.
But I am far from that as of today :triportsad:

Nov 10, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #35 of 102
Hi, it's a common issue I guess...I have plenty of headphones and iems even if I am trying to limit myself to...the essentials... :)

closed dynamic > Fostex TH-X00 - Focal Elegia - ZMF Atticus
open dynamics > searching...
closed planar > MrSpeakers' Ether CX
open planar > Sash Audio Tres and Hifiman HE-4XX
IEMs > Empire Ears Cerberus 3 > Campfire Audio Honeydew > about 3 KZ models

and a some other of other old cans, like Koss ESP6, Koss MV1, Stax SR-5N and Stax SRX-MKIII, AKG K270, Pioneer SE-MJ591 but I might be missing some other headphones that I am now forgetting..

Basically, to complete the reply, I would like to limit myself to one pair of headphones by category, that is one dynamic closed, one open, one planar closed and one open, plus, hopefully an Electrostat totl.
But I am far from that as of today :triportsad:
Dont forget BT headphones . :gs1000smile::gs1000smile:

Nov 10, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #36 of 102
Dont forget BT headphones . :gs1000smile::gs1000smile:
Right...I knew I was forgetting something... JBL Tune 760NC... And the current headphones I use at work, the Philips Series 9000... Thank you :ksc75smile:

Nov 10, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #37 of 102
I consider myself a collector:

HiFiman HE6se V2's
Grado GH2's
Nectar Sound Ambrosia's Koss KPH30i's
Sennheiser HD660S2's
Meze 109 Pro's
Grado Hemp's
CFA Cascades
iBasso SR2's
Focal Radiance's
and Focal Clear - OG's.

Nov 10, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #38 of 102
Rule of 3 is the most comfortable for me, which is that I really don't need more than 3 of gear that's for enjoyment. Anything more than that can be cumbersome unless the extra ones have much more specific use case.

For example, 3 headphones: 1 closed back and 2 open backs. 3 IEMS with different sound signatures, all of this would be enough for me. Gear such as ANC headphones wouldn't be included in this as it would have it's own specific use case.

In an ideal reality, I'd probably just have 3 pieces of audio gear for enjoyment, inclusive of IEMS & Headphones, and then maybe some TWS buds and/or ANC headphones.

The gear that I have now doesn't really comply with this yet, which is why I'd probably call myself a collector at the moment, but I'm looking to find what I really like and then reducing so that I go by these rules. I think that's what would suit me best.

Nov 10, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #39 of 102
I consider myself a collector:

HiFiman HE6se V2's
Grado GH2's
Nectar Sound Ambrosia's Koss KPH30i's
Sennheiser HD660S2's
Meze 109 Pro's
Grado Hemp's
CFA Cascades
iBasso SR2's
Focal Radiance's
and Focal Clear - OG's.
… psst 😏: what about the Shane D headphone alumni? … 😆

Nov 10, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #41 of 102
Nov 10, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #42 of 102
I have about five or six, half of them (dt990, dt770, Fidelio X2) I don't really use anymore but I'm not wanting to sell them either. The need just isn't that great and even if i sell them five years from now the value will probably still be about the same. I wouldn't consider myself a hoarder, since it's a collection I've built up over a decade I'd say that's a very minimal total cost, especially since most of them were bought used lol. I think hoarding is more like a mentality, where owning a lot of stuff satisfies some need somehow, that doesn't apply to me.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #43 of 102
last stage in the madness is when you make your own ....

dmsmuffs.jpg

DMS makes his own headphone ... IIRC $999

It was in the Z goes to Socal Canjam @ 55min mark

Nov 10, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #44 of 102
[duplicate]

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #45 of 102
Yeah saw a girl with on-ear Sennheisers today, wondering how good they could be! But don't usually listen to music on the bus or tram here. Have iem's for that anyway. But a lot of people go today with wireless on-ears or noise-cancelling headphones. Very common in Bergen. I guess I had my walkman cassette player back in the day or cd player when I took the metro in DC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back