When Do You Get a New Cell Phone
Jul 25, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #16 of 31
I've had mine for a little over 3 years but there's no sense in replacing it. It runs the latest Windows Mobile 6.5RC with a bit of a CPU overclock so it's actually better than what you'd get brand new out of the box (WM6.1).

I'm absolutely going to keep it until it's dead which will likely be quite some time. I have an identical unit sitting around for parts.

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #17 of 31
I wrecked my car, and so finally broke down and got a phone. The potentially good phones from AT&T had major flaws (like bad battery life due to not being able to turn 3G off, as one I was looking at had). So I paid full price for what seemed like a decent phone with a camera (RIZR). It does everything I need, hasn't given any fits, and the camera even came in handy, once.

When I can't use it anymore, or if I end up needing to go non-GSM for some reason, I'll buy another.

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #18 of 31
just picked up a refurb iphone for 80$...

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #19 of 31
Every year, both private and at work.
Meaning that we get new cell phone at work every year, and then the old one live another year as my private phone.

Jul 25, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #20 of 31
I have a motorola F3, and I really want it to die but it just won't. It only shows about eight characters on screen and other than calling/sms it really does not do anything.

Jul 25, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #21 of 31
I've had loads of phones. I'd only upgrade to a Nokia E series now, I've had 3 of them and they're the best I've used. The last few years I've gone through maybe 4 different phones.

I'm going to upgrade in a year most likely to a new Nokia E phone.

Jul 25, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #24 of 31
I buy the cheapest and sturdiest phone I can find and then wait till it dies. The last phone I killed by swimming with it and also my current phone has seen some water though it still lives.
wink.gif

Jul 25, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #25 of 31
I lost mine so got another. I woulda got whatever was FREE, but after the TREO 650 I appreciated one thing that was hard to do without: Threaded SMS.

I only need to make calls and SMS and QWERTY kb is a HUGE convenience. I went with the LG Lotus (LX600) since the square shape fits in pocket nice and its REALLLY thin phone.

I did use a couple of cool aps on the treo, but in reality it felt like a pound of silicon in my shirt pocket and it was so heavy that when I dropped it, the screen cracked (two of three times). Fortunately I got new screens on ebay and replaced it myself.

Jul 25, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this is becoming more common, but that's going to suck if you're ever incapacitated in a fire or medically and can't speak, or you need to non-verbally alert 911 to an intruder. Also, my home phone was the only thing working through two approaching hurricanes. Cell providers cannot keep up with the mass of communication during wacky events like natural disasters. Mine was good for jack squat when I really needed it.

I replace my cell only when I have to. It's an item I give very little thought to on a daily basis as long as it's working.

Don't rely on a landline. Intruders cut my line and my wife had to use her cell. Both intruders were shot before cops could arrive. Means of communication was a meaningless factor here.

Jul 25, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't rely on a landline. Intruders cut my line and my wife had to use her cell. Both intruders were shot before cops could arrive. Means of communication was a meaningless factor here.

Very true. That's a good reason to have both. Glad you and your wife are OK.

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have to ask - did your wife do the shooting? If so, good for her. If it was you, good for you. I'm sure it was a horrible experience, but the alternative could have been much, much worse.

Jul 25, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #29 of 31
I only replace my phone if it starts acting up a bunch, or dies. The only other time I'd replace it is if I needed some functionality the current one wasn't capable of.

I have a Blackberry 8830, which doesn't have a camera, and I've actually missed that about twice in 2 years. Next phone, probably another BB, will have a camera. The 8830 is a big phone, relatively, but I find it doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would when I first got it. It's smooth and rounded, so it still goes in a pocket nicely.

I bought used off ebay for about $80, so it was a lot cheaper than buying from my carrier without a new contract.

Jul 26, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this is becoming more common, but that's going to suck if you're ever incapacitated in a fire or medically and can't speak, or you need to non-verbally alert 911 to an intruder. Also, my home phone was the only thing working through two approaching hurricanes. Cell providers cannot keep up with the mass of communication during wacky events like natural disasters. Mine was good for jack squat when I really needed it.

I replace my cell only when I have to. It's an item I give very little thought to on a daily basis as long as it's working.

Exactly. Where I live, one good earthquake and my cellphone is useless for at least 24 hours just on volume of calls (let alone any damage to the network). There is no incentive for wireless carriers to beef up their infrastructure, because such events are very rare and it would cost too much every month. It is those times, though, when a phone is the most handy. I will never, ever live without a land line.

I like my cell phone, and I like having the simple camera it has for possible emergencies (like accidents), but to me, it is still just a phone. Because of this, I only upgrade when I am allowed to do so very cheaply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back