When did Paypal get so greedy?
Apr 18, 2006 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

F1GTR

Banned
I logged on to Paypal today to check my balance and I was quite surprised to see that the fees are now 2.9% +$.30 for merchants accepting payment. When the heck did this extra $.30 crap get initiated? I don't recall ever receiving an email notifying me of it and I could swear it wasn't in place three months ago.

Has it been there for awhile and I just haven't noticed it or is it relatively new?

Does anyone know any other good online payment alternatives? Paypal's greed is going to be the death of them and I hope it sparks the creation of another good service soon.

Apr 18, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #4 of 23
It's been there for a long long time...
frown.gif

-Alex-

Apr 18, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by cire
the +.30 has been there as long as i can remember

How long have you been using Paypal?

I'm not doubting you but I'm almost 100% positive that it wasn't there a year ago. It used to be strictly the 2.9% fee, as far as I can recall, but perhaps I've overlooked the +$.30 for some time now.

Apr 18, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #6 of 23
Hmm, yeah, it's always had that +$0.30 for me. But somehow, just adding +0.30 and 2.9% to the total never comes out right. Fee is always more than that, and I don't know why.

Best,

-Jason

Apr 18, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip
It's been there for a long long time...
frown.gif

-Alex-

Ouch. Ok. Well my perception needs a bit of fine tuning I suppose.

I guess I haven't noticed it since most of my past transactions have been $50 or more; however, I've recently started selling odds and ends on ebay and when you sell something for $10 you really start to take notice of that extra $.30.

So are there any other alternatives besides a Money Order? If not, I imagine there would be a huge market for an online payment service that could undercut Paypal's fees.

Apr 18, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
But somehow, just adding +0.30 and 2.9% to the total never comes out right. Fee is always more than that, and I don't know why.

Best,

-Jason

That's another reason that prompted me posting this Jason.

I think of the movie "Hackers" and that worm that sucked an extra $.01, or whatever it was, out of all the transactions and it ended up being millions. Paypal reminds me of that worm.

Apr 19, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #9 of 23
Yep, like Richard Pryor in one of the Superman movies...and like the unsung heroes of "Office Space..."

That 30 cents thing has been around at least since 2000, when I signed up for Paypal. It was basically the same fee as my merchant accounts so I didn't think twice about it. Part of the cost of doing business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back