When buying headphones, do you negotiate on price?
Mar 4, 2021 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Heyyoudvd

500+ Head-Fier
This is something I hadn’t really thought of before, but if you’re buying a pair of headphones, can you negotiate on price?

Certain things in this world are negotiable, like if you’re buying a car, you don’t just accept the MSRP, as there’s always room to bring them down hundreds or sometimes even thousands of dollars. But conversely, many things are not negotiable. If you walk into an Apple Store, you can’t bargain with them on the price of an iPhone or AirPods. Take it or leave it.

What about with audiophile headphones? What are the margins like and do third party dealers typically allow you to negotiate? I negotiated when I bought my Paradigm speaker set several years ago, but I never really thought to do that with a pair of Grados or Sennheisers.

What are your thoughts on this?

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 8
It really depends on the time and place.
I managed to get a 10% discount on my HE-500 in a brick and mortar store because it was reaching the end of it's life cycle and they were happy to clear out stock.
It likely depends on the store selling it and the brand of headphones.

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 8
I pretty much only buy used, and with very few exceptions won't buy anything that isn't at least 1/3 off original MSRP (even if it's a relatively new item) as I feel that's the minimum value reduction "it touched someone else's ears" warrants, but generally don't buy till we're around 1/2 MSRP (or, if it has dropped significantly over its market run, 1/2 current new selling price). Yes, if people are asking significantly more I'll ask for those kind of numbers, but only on an older listing. If they think they can get $20 off retail for an item... I mean, good luck.

Mar 7, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #8 of 8
a good question... i buy headphones almost exclusively from my trusted dealers.
Where I can hear almost everyone rehearsing and also meet a fine group of like-minded people ..... with lots of nice conversations :dt880smile: :wink:

The owner of the shop, a wonderful person, helps you but never tries to sell you something more expensive .... and in the end I get my can or the amp without asking at a fair price 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back