When building a monster portable rig, where would you start?
Jul 25, 2007 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

elbrickodaviso

100+ Head-Fier
My tentative plans for a portable rig are:

5.5G 80gb iMod > ALO iMod Cryo Dock (or the cotton, but probably cryo to save 80 bucks)> RSA Tomahawk > Westone 3 (and HD650 when using as semi-transportable)

First off, different amp suggestions are cool.

The main point of this thread is that I can only afford my rig one piece at a time. I already have the iPod, but not modded yet, and I assume finding the right IEMs for me would be the best way to start. However the one I am most interested in doesn't seem to want to leave the factory lol. Would it still be wise to wait for the Westone 3 to come out before shelling out for the rest of the rig? Basically, if someone could tell me how much an IEMs sound can change based on going from the iPod to iMod and an amp, that would probably answer this semi-awkward question the best. Thanks for reading once again
tongue.gif

Jul 25, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 5
There are quite a few threads on the iMod floating around with heaps of info, i think you should run a search on them, im positive your question has been answered before.

As for the order i would obviously grab your IEM's first before doing your work on the imod or amp (that is considering you are doing one part at a time). But yeah, first off, listen to EFN you neeeed more money first
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #5 of 5
Since IEMs don't need a lot of power to be driven properly, the choice of IEM will probably make the biggest difference in the sound for you (the 650s, on the other hand, will sound quite different based on how they are amped). So I'd get the IEMs first, then the iMod and the amp.

As for making your own cables, my understanding is that making a line-out cable for the 5g iMod is EXTREMELY difficult. EFN has done it, so he might be able to give you insight into that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back