When Bruce Lee met Jackie Chan....
Aug 9, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #76 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
So what? Muscles or not, he is a joke nowadays....I have seen all of them, all his movies, and not that many AFAIK.....and yeah right.....I have heard that before, action yes, martial arts? A joke!!!

A joke? Give me a break, you must be kidding.
tongue.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
BTW Bruce Lee was a a far better dancer than a practitioner

No, you are confused, that is Van Damme. He also had the ligaments in his legs cut so that he can do those crazy splits he is famous for.
rolleyes.gif

Kixyll - What about the 'one inch punch'?

As an aside, I used to take Meibukan Goju-Ryu Karate-Do and stopped around 10 years ago after achieving my brown belt. Partly due to money problems and in part due to a budding social life. I've been thinking about taking something recently, probably branching out from Karate as I don't want to be learning the same things all over again. Considered Aikido, but I don't really want to break anyone's limbs and I'm not quite built for grappling. Capoeira is interesting, but looks pretty physically demanding as does kick boxing. Perhaps Kung Fu? hmmmmm...

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #77 of 81
I think the most famous one-inch-punch video (where he knocks the guy over the chair) is a little exaggerated, but it's still cool. Most styles will teach you how to generate power from a short distance, Lee was very good at it obviously.

As for learning something new:

Capoeira is a ton of fun if you have the body type for it (thin, limber). Being a good dancer/rhythm helps too. I took it for a few weeks, and had fun despite being terrible at it. I'm built like a linebacker (5'11/205), and had a lot of trouble with the flips/cartwheels/etc. I also have 3 left feet on the dance floor, so that didn't help =p. It's an incredible full body workout, if that's what you're looking for.

I really disliked Akido when I tried it, but from talking to other people I think I had a bad instructor. Seemed like a lot of superfluous movement, and the whole time I remember thinking anyone proficient in BJJ could kill this guy.

I know you said you don't want to grapple, but you may want to take some classes in BJJ. I really enjoyed it, and it will give you some new perspectives on ground & pound.

Some others:

Krav Magra - if you can find someone who can teach it in your area, it's absolutely lethal.

Muay Thai - I've only dabbled in it, but if I start up again with a martial art this would be my pick. Really good mix of finesse and power, and I think it's probably the most functional of the fighting arts. One note on this: be prepared for a lot of pain your first few weeks, while you toughen up your shins.

Kenpo - a good instructor is key, if you can find one it's a great workout.

Aug 9, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #78 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kixyll
Capoeira is a ton of fun if you have the body type for it (thin, limber). Being a good dancer/rhythm helps too. t's an incredible full body workout, if that's what you're looking for.

Sort of a mixed bag here. Relatively thin and limber... also sure I could quickly improve in that area. I have no rhythm and basically just slow dance. Sounds like it might be a good fit though if I can get over the lack of rhythm problem.
biggrin.gif
Quote:

the whole time I remember thinking anyone proficient in BJJ could kill this guy.

I know you said you don't want to grapple, but you may want to take some classes in BJJ. I really enjoyed it, and it will give you some new perspectives on ground & pound.

Sorry, what is BJJ? Quote:

Krav Magra - if you can find someone who can teach it in your area, it's absolutely lethal.

I will look into it, though I am not too worried about being lethal. I can take care of myself alright, but I am looking more for general fitness. The spiritual aspect of martial arts interests me as well. I remember enjoying Sanchin for the deep breathing techniques, though stylistically I really loved the Meibukan kata as they were all very detailed and you could pair them for simulated battles [Seiryu & Byakko, Shujakku & Genbu]. Quote:

Muay Thai - I've only dabbled in it, but if I start up again with a martial art this would be my pick. Really good mix of finesse and power, and I think it's probably the most functional of the fighting arts. One note on this: be prepared for a lot of pain your first few weeks, while you toughen up your shins.

I will consider it, but everyone I have met who takes this has been a raving jackass. Huge attitude problems seem to follow this sport. Quote:

Kenpo - a good instructor is key, if you can find one it's a great workout.

I don't know much about Kenpo, I will have to do some research.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #79 of 81
BJJ = Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu also synonymous with Gracie Jiu-Jitsu to a lot of people.

If you're looking for general fitness, I would definitely try to find a Capoeira class. Out of all the stuff I've taken, it was probably the best workout, and it really is a lot of fun.

Aug 9, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #80 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by golgo13
AhAhAh ! No one can match the great Bolo Yeung
biggrin.gif

082_2.jpg

Haha classic! I used to love Bloodsport and Double Impact when I was a kid. He was in Enter the Dragon with Bruce Lee too.

Aug 9, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #81 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
I don't think you are saying anything that is a surprise. The new wave of martial arts and sanctioned fighting has brought out some truly amazing athletes to the world of martial arts. They incorporate many different styles and require someone to excel in both striking and "wrestling" techniques. Pure strikers like Lee would not fare well in the ring with the top talent you see in Pride fighting these days. Furthermore, if limited to boxing, very few martial artists, if any, would survive against the likes of Roy Jones Jr.

Lee was one of the first prominent advocates of crosstraining primarily due to two circumstances: Yip Man would no longer teach him for having 1/8 German blood, and he was frustrated by Wing Chun's ineffectiveness (in the fight incorrectly portrayed in "Dragon" as having broke his back). MMA would certainly have a different face today if not for Lee.

As for boxing, Lee recognized the superior hand skills of that sport and thus incorporated it into his system. K1 has its rules/limitations (hence even a former boxer like Francois Botha can hold his own in the ring). Just imagine if Tyson were to compete (he'd probably end up biting someone's face off, though). To paraphrase Lee, however, a true martial artist will be thinking 360 degrees around his or her opponent: boxing by itself is far too limited in comparison. If Bruce Lee were still alive, he would've kept up w/the trends, but then he'd be an old man anyway.

And the UFC certainly hyped BJJ up. Effective? Yes, but what can you really do against multiple attackers? In a real-world situation, Kimura would have beaten Helio Gracie the second Gracie hit the pavement. Rickson is one tough bionic man: he is impossible to armbar now due to bolts in his hyperextended elbows. I believe Royce withdrew from UFC for a couple reasons: more time restrictions and judges' decisions put his style at a disadvantage, and people were simply developing defenses as they grew more accustomed to grappling (there's a reason to keep techniques as secretive as possible). The fight with Kimo (and let's not forget Matt Hughes) showed Gracie was as vulnerable as the next guy. Plenty of fights in NHB tournaments now end in knockouts rather than submissions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back