When Bruce Lee met Jackie Chan....
Jul 22, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #16 of 81
Sovkiller, you have no idea what you are talking about. Bruce' Lee's martial arts skills were very real. The reason his martial arts look a bit simple by today's standards is b/c most of the martial arts you see today is ridiculously choreographed, aided by wires and CGI, and defy basic principles of gravity. It certainly wouldn't be effective in any real world scenario. Bruce Lee was about speed and focused power. Whatever you may think of his movies, you are way off base about his skills.

Jul 22, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #17 of 81
Bruce Lee is no match to Chow Yun Fatt man, have you seen him in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon? He can fly!
rolleyes.gif

Jul 22, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #18 of 81
whenever i hear someone bash bruce lee, its as if someone were to bash Jesse Owens for not winning more gold medals. there are some things more important about the man's contributions that you're just not looking at.

and yeah, he was the real deal. jeet kun do, anybody?

Jul 22, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #19 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
Want to see real martial artists in action (though aided by CG), Jet Lee and Donnie Yen in Hero (a great movie btw):

I enjoyed this much more. Catch it when you can.

poster3.jpg

poster2.jpg

Jul 22, 2006 at 7:12 AM Post #20 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
So what? Muscles or not, he is a joke nowadays....I have seen all of them, all his movies, and not that many AFAIK.....and yeah right.....I have heard that before, action yes, martial arts? A joke!!! BTW Bruce Lee was a a far better dancer than a practitioner, he was an mediocre kung fu actor and period....about kicking Chuck ass...well all I have heard is that he got paid really good green dollars for let him beat in that scene BTW....

You don't know what you are talking about... sound like you have some personal dislike of him
rolleyes.gif

Jul 22, 2006 at 1:18 PM Post #22 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
Are you kidding? Bruce Lee was considered the strongest martial artist alive!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_l..._Lee.27s_feats

The quotes are crazy!

sovkiller, lets see if you can do the things that the page hungrych has listed on this page... Also read the quotes people have said about him...Stop complaining, you're just jealous, and bruce lee can beat your ass anyday... You have no idea what you are talking about, go back to watching Rambo...

Jul 22, 2006 at 1:47 PM Post #23 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
I enjoyed this much more. Catch it when you can.

Had not heard of that movie Fearless until now actually. Will certainly catch it, thanks!

Jul 22, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #24 of 81
To preface, I've taken 2 years of JKD (the style Lee founded), 5 years of BJJ, and smatterings of JSD, Kenpo, and MT. Just to get the inevitable "you don't know what you're talking about" out of the way.

Lee was a fantastic martial artist & athlete, but he's not the god people make him out to be. Put him up against someone like Rickson Gracie in his prime in a best out of five and Lee would come out on the bottom (literally). Norris against Lee in a real fight when they were both in their primes would probably be close, I'd give the edge to Lee as he was quite a bit quicker. Lee was extraordinarily strong & fast for his size, but so are plenty of other top martial artists, boxers, etc. I wouldn't say he's the best pound for pound fighter who's ever lived, I probably wouldn't even have him in my top 10.

That page of "feats" is nothing extraordinary, it's made to impress people who don't have a good idea what top fighters can do. The hand speed is fast, but no faster than a good welterweight boxer. Roy Jones Jr. in his prime could hit a bag 6-7 times in a second, and he's by far not the quickest boxer out there. The pushups are impressive no doubt, but I've personally witnessed people I've trained with do similar feats of strength. The exploding bag is ********, it's been debunked by various people who studied under Lee. It happened a few times on VERY worn down bags.

Once again, he was a fantastic martial artist & a good man from everything I've read. He is not a kung-fu god who can shoot laser beams from his eyes and destroy anyone in his path.

Jul 22, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #25 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kixyll
To preface, I've taken 2 years of JKD (the style Lee founded), 5 years of BJJ, and smatterings of JSD, Kenpo, and MT. Just to get the inevitable "you don't know what you're talking about" out of the way.

Lee was a fantastic martial artist & athlete, but he's not the god people make him out to be. Put him up against someone like Rickson Gracie in his prime in a best out of five and Lee would come out on the bottom (literally). Norris against Lee in a real fight when they were both in their primes would probably be close, I'd give the edge to Lee as he was quite a bit quicker. Lee was extraordinarily strong & fast for his size, but so are plenty of other top martial artists, boxers, etc. I wouldn't say he's the best pound for pound fighter who's ever lived, I probably wouldn't even have him in my top 10.

That page of "feats" is nothing extraordinary, it's made to impress people who don't have a good idea what top fighters can do. The hand speed is fast, but no faster than a good welterweight boxer. Roy Jones Jr. in his prime could hit a bag 6-7 times in a second, and he's by far not the quickest boxer out there. The pushups are impressive no doubt, but I've personally witnessed people I've trained with do similar feats of strength. The exploding bag is ********, it's been debunked by various people who studied under Lee. It happened a few times on VERY worn down bags.

Once again, he was a fantastic martial artist & a good man from everything I've read. He is not a kung-fu god who can shoot laser beams from his eyes and destroy anyone in his path.

I don't think you are saying anything that is a surprise. The new wave of martial arts and sanctioned fighting has brought out some truly amazing athletes to the world of martial arts. They incorporate many different styles and require someone to excel in both striking and "wrestling" techniques. Pure strikers like Lee would not fare well in the ring with the top talent you see in Pride fighting these days. Furthermore, if limited to boxing, very few martial artists, if any, would survive against the likes of Roy Jones Jr.

All of that being said, I don't think one can understate Lee's skill level nor his abilities. I studied with Tiger Kim who is now deceased. Tiger Kim was one of the last true grandmasters of Tae Kwon Do and a very famous figure in martial arts history. He rarely spoke with reverence about anyone, but when it came to Bruce Lee (who he knew personally), he talked about him as one of the all time greats. Of course, when you are talking about martial arts with a grandmaster, they aren't only thinking about how a person would fare in a ring. They are thinking as much about the "art" that is a part of martial arts.

Jul 22, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #26 of 81
Quote:

well obviously he isn't a god, but he was pretty damn good and well rounded (even though he may not be the best in the world at one particular thing)... He also didn't take drugs or whatever athletes take to get more muscles... Do you think jackie chan is a better martial artist than bruce leee?

Jul 22, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #27 of 81
Quote:

Yeah, i agree, he is not a god...but I don't assume that he couldn't be among the best fighters today. Who knows what kind of a fighter bruce lee would be in todays times with today's knowledge and training techniques. I think it's more of a function of the times/era he lived. He trained and fought based upon the trends or lack thereof the period and he learned and grew.

In today's world of being bigger, stronger, faster (whether that's artificially enhanced or not), I think Bruce Lee would also have adjusted and, IMO, proven himself among the best. It's not just his skills, it's his dedication, ability to learn/improve, and maniacal focus...something I don't think anyone would question...and that, more than anything, makes you the best of the best, regardless of what era you live in.

Jul 22, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #28 of 81
anyone else get the feeling this is turning into a "who would win in a fight, batman or superman?" type debate?

batman all the way.
tongue.gif

Jul 22, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #30 of 81
Bruce Lee was neither a competitive fighter, nor a pure striker. He trained wrestling and submission, and it's even in his movies if you watch carefully, but he preferred mobility. Crocop and Mark Hunt don't do too poorly for themselves and you could hardly compare them to Bruce Lee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back