When braiding - do I need a shield?
Jul 30, 2007 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

NelsonVandal

1000+ Head-Fier
I've always used a proper shield (connected to one end) for my signal cables, but is it necessary to use a shield with a 3- or 4-strand braid?

Jul 30, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonVandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always used a proper shield (connected to one end) for my signal cables, but is it necessary to use a shield with a 3- or 4-strand braid?

I never used a shield on my braids, doesnt seem to give any intereference. I remember reading somewhere that the braid itself creates some shielding of its own, but dont quote me on that
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2007 at 9:09 AM Post #3 of 15
If you live in a country where mobile/cell phones use the GSM system (i.e. everywhere except North America), you might find that braided-but-unshielded cables are prone to picking up the buzzing-clicking sounds of any phone in the room.

I had some braided Kimber interconnects that were ok in North America (and looked neat), but here in Britain they just pick up too much GSM to be useful. A proper shield, grounded to the case at one end at least, does indeed prevent this.

Jul 30, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 15
Thanks for your replies. I'll try an unshielded one with surplus cables. If it works it'll make life much (or at least a little bit) easier.

Jul 30, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never used a shield on my braids, doesnt seem to give any intereference. I remember reading somewhere that the braid itself creates some shielding of its own, but dont quote me on that
smily_headphones1.gif

Brading is supposed to counter effect the EMF from each respective line in the braid. I believe.

Aug 8, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #7 of 15
I was pretty skeptical when I read that the braiding would shield against noise. Turns out that on my el-cheapo braid, it wasn't until it was held right next to the TV (my standard test for picking up noise with my bass) did I notice significant interference. It was a 4 strand braid, the ground being represented by two strands.

That said, I was using open headphones and the TV was on, so it wasn't completely silent surroundings, YMMV.

Aug 9, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #8 of 15
I shield all my cables...

I was trying to stop some hum in a tube amp I had built. After giving up and just getting used to the slight hum I decided to shield some kimber cable with the shielding from canare microphone cable on a whim. The next thing I knew the amp was completely silent!

So now I just do it to all he cables I make

Aug 9, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by HIPPOhifi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never use shielding on external cables I make and I always braid/twist cables for internal work, this combo is sufficient and I have never had any issues with interference/hum.

Cat5 cable is twisted pair for this reason.

If you have multiple conductors then twisting should be sufficient unless you are in an extremely high noise environment. If you have a single conductor (wire) then shielding could be considered.

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #10 of 15
i have a couple of questions tangentially related to this topic, but don't want to start a new thread for them alone:

what gauge of wire is ideal for making a small, braided interconnect of 3 to 4 conductors? i've looked around and seen a good many people talking about 22 to 24 AWG wire, but most of the silver wire on eBay (which someone recommended) is 30 AWG. is that too small?

second, is stranded wire as bad for interconnects as people say? one of the Litz braiding tutorials says that solid core is the only way to go. agree/disagree? isn't a solid core interconnect inflexible as hell (and perhaps prone to breakage upon repeated flexion)?

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #12 of 15
Aug 10, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #13 of 15
What I do in a pinch is order canare starquad by the foot #L-4E6S BK from markertek at $0.42 a foot and just use the shield.

Aug 10, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #14 of 15
I've read that if you're going to use a shield, then it should be spaced off the conductors. I wouldn't use a shield unless you're going to sheath the wires with cotton tubing or something similar and then put the shield over that.

Aug 10, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read that if you're going to use a shield, then it should be spaced off the conductors. I wouldn't use a shield unless you're going to sheath the wires with cotton tubing or something similar and then put the shield over that.

I wouldn't have it any other way
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back