When amazing is an understatement...
Mar 18, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by star882 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought I was the smartest engineer of my age until I read this:
http://www.hackaday.com/2007/03/16/b...-spectrograph/
What more can I say? About one year younger and at least as smart. More than just amazing...

Just out of curiosity, what lead you to believe that you are the smartest engineer of your age? Did you win some sort of an international award for some engineering related accomplishment, or something like that? Or is it just a self proclamation?

Mar 18, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 47
i think he meant "his age" as in 17 or 18. still...

the young lady he's talking about is on the right:
mary.jpg

have her give me a call in a couple years after she wins the nobel.

Mar 18, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 47
i thought i was the greatest musician in the world until i went to this girl's website and realized..................................I REALLY AM!!!!!!!!!!

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

What do you do with a laser spectrograph?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrograph
Basically, it identifies chemicals.
Quote:

Just out of curiosity, what lead you to believe that you are the smartest engineer of your age? Did you win some sort of an international award for some engineering related accomplishment, or something like that? Or is it just a self proclamation?

I have yet to meet someone in the same age group as me who is at least as smart in engineering. (But I certainly have *read* about one!)
Look to the left and you'll see a very young and pretty electrical engineer and refrigeration engineer. And a very skilled Gentoo system administrator as well...
Quote:

Oh, I suppose this comment is throwing me off:

"I thought I was the smartest engineer of my age, until I read this"

So if I am interpreting the original post properly, the poster believes that he/she is the smartest engineer in his/her age group, which is 18.

"If computer programs were written in English, they would execute differently on every computer and nobody would be able to properly write an English program." (That was a funny quote from a friend of mine, which states that English can be ambiguous and the "syntax" is very hard to completely understand.)

Mar 19, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #8 of 47
Just because you have never met someone your age that is more gifted in engineering, do you really believe that you are really among the elite? What does age have to do with anything anyways?

Mar 19, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

I thought I was the smartest engineer of my age until I read this:
http://www.hackaday.com/2007/03/16/b...-spectrograph/
What more can I say? About one year younger and at least as smart. More than just amazing...

Quote:

I have yet to meet someone in the same age group as me who is at least as smart in engineering. (But I certainly have *read* about one!)

I thought I was the c0ckiest member on head-fi until i read this! What can I say..?
icon10.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

I thought I was the c0ckiest member on head-fi until i read this! What can I say..?

"They say I'm crazy, but I really don't care."
Quote:

This HS senior supposedly built a working fusion reactor using parts he bought off eBay and from a local hardware store:

http://www.hackaday.com/2007/03/18/m...usion-reactor/
Once again, amazing is an understatement.

Mar 19, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #14 of 47
Sigh... ****y teenagers, the worst. Go to college and realize how wrong you are.

Smartest person I've ever met was this 15 year old electrical engineering student. Was taking soph/jun level engineering classes with him.

Mar 19, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

Look to the left and you'll see a very young and pretty electrical engineer and refrigeration engineer. And a very skilled Gentoo system administrator as well...

Ok so to answer my own question;

Yes. The comment made about you being the smartest engineer in your age group was your own opinion, and nothing more than a self proclamation. Which is exactly what I suspected.

A few words of advice to take along with you when you get out into the real world:

It's good to be humble.

No matter how good you think you are at something, there is always someone out there who is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back