Whelp... I did it... (Sennheiser HD600)
Feb 14, 2017 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

BgrizzlyR

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new here and wanted to get a bit of a conversation going. Upon careful consideration, I decided to take the plunge and replace my HD598 SE with the HD600 (They will arrive on Wednesday). Perhaps I am only expressing the decision here to justify it.
tongue.gif

A bit of background of my current setup; I listen to my music through my PC, Macbook Pro, and a mobile device. My PC is my "main station". I have an ASUS Essence STX II as my sound card, and I also have the Sennheiser HD598 CS as my low impedance set for my lower powered devices. I had sold my HD598 SE (open back) to my brother. He absolutely loves them!

Unfortunately I don't have any means to listen to these headphones (HD600) before buying (not a big deal to me). Furthermore, I do have a few questions. Now I realize that the HD600's may have a narrower sound stage compared to my HD598, but with my sound card, would it be fair to say that I will likely be happy with such a decision? Also, will the HD600 have a wider sound stage than my HD598 CS (closed back).

My goals with my setup is to have 2 sets of headphones. One set for casual listening on low powered devices, passive noise cancellation and something that won't bother everyone around me (HD598 CS (closed back)
The other set I want to be for more of the "great listening experience". Something I can just sit and listen to great music on my PC, and play a PC game with every so often. (HD600).

Note: I like a flatter EQ, and want to hear as much details in the music as I can.

I want to thank you so much for taking the time to read my post. I realize I am my own person and I am ultimately the one that needs to make my decision, but I just like opinions, and want to have good conversation.

Feb 14, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 14
Haven't heard the 598CS so I can't comment on that part of your question, but on the rest:

- I think the HD 600 will satisfy your goals in terms of detail retrieval, being relatively neutral, comfortable, suitable for long listening sessions, etc. Of course you won't know for sure until you hear them, but that's just unfortunately part of it in the era of predominately online shopping.

- The STX II should be fine for the HD 600, but you will likely want to use the "high gain" or "high impedance" mode if offered; I haven't heard the TPA6120 on that specific card, but I've heard it in other circuits, and its quite capable (especially for what it is - a pea sized chip that doesn't run super hot), and I don't recall having objections to it when I owned my Senns (but that was years ago). I'm not sure the "soundstage issue" will be that big of a problem - the HD 600 are very respectable in their own right, and should satisfy most needs (they really are a good "all rounder" hi-fi headphone).

- I think the idea of keeping a pair of closed headphones on hand is a good one - again I haven't heard the 598 CS so I've got no idea how they'll compare for your goals, but in terms of "they're a closed headphone and that's a good thing to have for when you can't use the open cans" that should be fine. :)

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 14
Haven't heard the 598CS so I can't comment on that part of your question, but on the rest:

- I think the HD 600 will satisfy your goals in terms of detail retrieval, being relatively neutral, comfortable, suitable for long listening sessions, etc. Of course you won't know for sure until you hear them, but that's just unfortunately part of it in the era of predominately online shopping.

- The STX II should be fine for the HD 600, but you will likely want to use the "high gain" or "high impedance" mode if offered; I haven't heard the TPA6120 on that specific card, but I've heard it in other circuits, and its quite capable (especially for what it is - a pea sized chip that doesn't run super hot), and I don't recall having objections to it when I owned my Senns (but that was years ago). I'm not sure the "soundstage issue" will be that big of a problem - the HD 600 are very respectable in their own right, and should satisfy most needs (they really are a good "all rounder" hi-fi headphone).

- I think the idea of keeping a pair of closed headphones on hand is a good one - again I haven't heard the 598 CS so I've got no idea how they'll compare for your goals, but in terms of "they're a closed headphone and that's a good thing to have for when you can't use the open cans" that should be fine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well.. "soundstage" for me isn't a deal breaker. However, I will say that a wider soundstage would be more ideal for the casual bit of gaming I do, but it isn't the primary use for these headphones. Therefore, it's not that important as long as it's pleasing musically.

The STX II seems like a great sound card. I did manage to find the high gain setting, and am excited to start using the potential of the amp. One thing I can say about the STX II is that the software is not the greatest, but it's manageable.

Does anyone happen to know of any good portable amp for the HD600?

I will comment on the HD598 CS (closed back). They are a great set of cans. There's a small bit of bass, but it's much smoother than the ATH50's that they replaced. I replaced my Audio Technica ATH50x with the HD598 CS (closed back), because the bass was just too muddy on the ATHM50x.

Feb 14, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #4 of 14

Unfortunately I don't have any means to listen to these headphones (HD600) before buying (not a big deal to me). Furthermore, I do have a few questions. Now I realize that the HD600's may have a narrower sound stage compared to my HD598, but with my sound card, would it be fair to say that I will likely be happy with such a decision? Also, will the HD600 have a wider sound stage than my HD598 CS (closed back).

I wouldn't put that much stock on that until you get to hear it. Too many times I read people saying something has a wider soundstage than the HD600, only to realize that their idea of "wider" has the cymbals way off at my ears and the drums span the length of the stage. Either Mr.Fantastic with stretchy/Dr.Octopus with robot arms in on the drums, or a celestial giant as large as the whole stage. In other words - everything is way out of proportion to each other.

The only headphones I really found to have a wider (as well as deeper) soundstage while maintaining proportions are the K701/702, HD800(S), LCD-2, etc...in other words, with the exception of the AKGs, you'd have to shell out a lot more cash.

Feb 14, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 14
I own both the HD600 and HD598 and I would say the stage on the 598 is, indeed, wider than that of the 600. That said, as @ProtegeManiac correctly identifies, sometimes a wide stage is an inaccurate stage. I think you can relax. The HD600 is neutral and detailed and harmonically complex and I suspect you will enjoy listening to music on it. I find it a very pleasant headphone for listening, even though I still like my 598. If I had to have just one, it would definitely be the HD600--no question about it. It is the far superior headphone.

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 14
  I own both the HD600 and HD598 and I would say the stage on the 598 is, indeed, wider than that of the 600. That said, as @ProtegeManiac correctly identifies, sometimes a wide stage is an inaccurate stage. I think you can relax. The HD600 is neutral and detailed and harmonically complex and I suspect you will enjoy listening to music on it. I find it a very pleasant headphone for listening, even though I still like my 598. If I had to have just one, it would definitely be the HD600--no question about it. It is the far superior headphone.

Thanks for the assurance serman005. I recall you being the one to recommend me the HD600 in my introductory thread. Upon your recommendation I did some research and decided to go for it. I had an interest in the HD600 and the HD650, but never really committed. I had read that the difference between the HD600 & HD650 are pretty subtle with the HD600 coming on top by most consumers anyway. I'm very excited! =)

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #7 of 14

Thanks for the assurance serman005. I recall you being the one to recommend me the HD600 in my introductory thread. Upon your recommendation I did some research and decided to go for it. I had an interest in the HD600 and the HD650, but never really committed. I had read that the difference between the HD600 & HD650 are pretty subtle with the HD600 coming on top by most consumers anyway. I'm very excited! =)

My pleasure. Do us a favor and, after you've had a chance to listen to it for a bit, let us know how you like it. It sort of helps us help other people.  --)

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #9 of 14
Hello everyone,

So I received my Sennheiser HD600s today and wow.... I am blown away, really. It is definitely a great upgrade from my HD598. I personally feel like there's a lot more separation between the sounds and instruments. Moreover, I hear a lot more vocally. I feel like I can actually hear plosives on some of the 'P's and 'T's. I also have the Asus Essence STX II in Dolby headphone mode with the 'reference' setting 'on'. It seems to bring a slightly wider sound stage (but not too much). Speaking of soundstage, I feel like the soundstage is excellent even with the Dolby reference setting 'off' on my sound card. I have no complaints whatsoever.

The headphones are very comfortable. I wouldn't even know that they where on me head if it wasn't for the slightly tighter clamp force, but it isn't bothersome. It will likely get better when broken in anyway.

This is my own personal review, but everyone has different tastes and ears. So take it with a grain of salt. Thanks to all that suggested these headphones. I look forward to speaking with you all in the future.

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #10 of 14
  Hello everyone,

So I received my Sennheiser HD600s today and wow.... I am blown away, really. It is definitely a great upgrade from my HD598. I personally feel like there's a lot more separation between the sounds and instruments. Moreover, I hear a lot more vocally. I feel like I can actually hear plosives on some of the 'P's and 'T's. I also have the Asus Essence STX II in Dolby headphone mode with the 'reference' setting 'on'. It seems to bring a slightly wider sound stage (but not too much). Speaking of soundstage, I feel like the soundstage is excellent even with the Dolby reference setting 'off' on my sound card. I have no complaints whatsoever.

The headphones are very comfortable. I wouldn't even know that they where on me head if it wasn't for the slightly tighter clamp force, but it isn't bothersome. It will likely get better when broken in anyway.

This is my own personal review, but everyone has different tastes and ears. So take it with a grain of salt. Thanks to all that suggested these headphones. I look forward to speaking with you all in the future.

That is excellent news, @BgrizzlyR! Glad it's working out. Thanks for the update. Enjoy!

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #11 of 14
  Hello everyone,

For all the PC gamers out there...
I'd also like to add that as a PC gamer myself, I did use these with my virtual surround sound enabled on my Asus Essence STX II sound card. I'd have to say they sound quite good and are quite immersive when gaming. I am sure the open back design helps with the immersion in gaming. I'm not by any means saying that they are comparable to the best gaming headphones (although I'll admittedly say that I am clueless when it comes to the gaming headphone market) but as an all rounder type of headphone they certainly satisfy me in both my casual PC gaming and music with my setup.

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #12 of 14
I loved my HD650s for gaming, however, I implore you to turn off virtual surround sound, and all windows audio enhancements on your PC. It introduces a lot of unnecessary clutter for the headphones to output, and I guarantee that if you just use the "Headphones" setting in the audio settings of what ever game, you'll get better results.

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #13 of 14

You have to bend the metal frame. Extend them to the loosest setting, then bend each metal piece at the center then closer to the gimbals, holding for 10secs at a time. Repeat evenly until you can set it properly for the ergonomics you prefer. I wear mine with barely any clamp except for a very light clamp at the top part of the earpad. The looser fit also extends the life of the earpad since they're not getting squished all the time.

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #14 of 14
  I loved my HD650s for gaming, however, I implore you to turn off virtual surround sound, and all windows audio enhancements on your PC. It introduces a lot of unnecessary clutter for the headphones to output, and I guarantee that if you just use the "Headphones" setting in the audio settings of what ever game, you'll get better results.

I definitely understand what you are saying and generally like the raw settings. No effects or anything for most applications. However the options are fun to experiment with. I also had just received my new sound card on Monday so I am still in that "New toy" stage with it.
tongue.gif

You have to bend the metal frame. Extend them to the loosest setting, then bend each metal piece at the center then closer to the gimbals, holding for 10secs at a time. Repeat evenly until you can set it properly for the ergonomics you prefer. I wear mine with barely any clamp except for a very light clamp at the top part of the earpad. The looser fit also extends the life of the earpad since they're not getting squished all the time.

Thank you so much for the tip. I'll work at that tomorrow for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back