Wheatfield HA-1
Mar 21, 2007 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mb3k

1000+ Head-Fier
I was looking for some more tube amps to build in the (near) future and found Pete Millett's Wheatfield HA-1! A quick search on Head-fi and other places did not come up with many personal builds of it. Nate (n_maher) has expressed interest in it a while back early Jan '06 but I have not heard of any further progression.

Seeing how the HA-1 has not taken off in the DIY public domain, I express interest in testing with the design and possibly PCB's, of course with notification and permission by Pete. It's a solid design and it's a perfect opportunity to start my PCB layout skills.

Anybody interested?

Mar 21, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #2 of 14
i am in.i work on protel.we can share project.of course with notification and permission by Pete.

i have experience on tube amp layout.

Zang

Mar 21, 2007 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 14
Another amp. I am going to be spending more money.

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #5 of 14
Can you substitute the 5687 for the 7044? That could make this amp interesting.

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:56 AM Post #6 of 14
Count me as tentatively interested, depending on more information and how it goes.
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 12:43 PM Post #7 of 14
We could try and hot rod it too.

Mar 21, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 14
I'm still in the progress of researching further into the design plus checking out the previously discontinued production version. No immediate plans for PCBs right now.

The goal I'm aiming at is to re-introduce Pete's amp for interested DIY'ers plus start learning PCB design for tube amps
smily_headphones1.gif

Digi, maybe you can teach me some tips for layout. I'll PM you later.

Mar 21, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #9 of 14
I'm pretty sure that when I looked into this (over a year ago?) that the board files that Pete has posted on his site are from a software package that is no longer used by fabricators and can't be easily turned into a PCB. He may have updated them since then though.

And if anyone does go modifying the circuit or having boards produced I would urge you to contact Pete before you get started. Not only is he a great guy he might just offer you tips on what could be done to improve the circuit.

My 2¢,

Nate

Mar 21, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #10 of 14
I just took a look. The Gerbers appear to be the old style with a seperate aperature file. Ugh. I think some fab will still take them but charge a conversion fee. Not sure. Never done it.

Viewmate will display the Gerbers. sort of.

Mar 22, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #12 of 14
I heard both Wheatfield models the last time Tyll was in Seattle. Wonderful sound. Do we really want to hot rod such a nice design? Oh well, in any case, I am very interested in getting my hands on a piece of Wheatfield gear. (Nate, I'm especially jeaouls that you now have HA-2 listed in your sig. Damn! Yubeeda lucky guy!)

I read Pete's page a month or so back and Pete's description of the custom xformer seemed a bit daunting. Any guess how we could acquire them?

Mar 22, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard both Wheatfield models the last time Tyll was in Seattle. Wonderful sound. Do we really want to hot rod such a nice design? Oh well, in any case, I am very interested in getting my hands on a piece of Wheatfield gear. (Nate, I'm especially jeaouls that you now have HA-2 listed in your sig. Damn! Yubeeda lucky guy!)

I read Pete's page a month or so back and Pete's description of the custom xformer seemed a bit daunting. Any guess how we could acquire them?

I was just about to point that out. It's something that's been on my mind today. Pete's design had a custom trafo which will probably be the most prohibitive component in the amp... I've contacted Pete just now introducing the new interest and hopefully we can get some further insight.
I don't know if multiple trafo's would be a better idea?

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #14 of 14
I am just brainstorming here. I have never heard the wheatfield so maybe it is perfect the way it is. Just random thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back