Wheatfield Audio USB-1 Computer DAC/Headphone Amp
May 16, 2002 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kerelybonto

doo-di-doo-di-dum doo-di-dum doo-di-doo-di-dum
Has anyone every used a Wheatfield Audio USB-1 Computer DAC/Headphone Amp? It sounds very clever -- takes the digital audio output from a computer's USB port, bypasses the computer's (probably) cheap DAC and all the internal noise, and puts it through its own high-quality DAC and amp. I assume there'd be a pretty significant improvement in sound quality, especially since the worst thing about computer audio is usually the background noise.

Would a setup using this thing bypass the soundcard entirely? Is a USB cord/connector an acceptable intermediary for an audio signal? Anyone know of any similar products?

Anyway, sounds like a very nice component for people who listen to a lot of music on their computers. I ran into a mention of one of these things at an audio show, but can't find any information hear, at HeadRoom, or anywhere else on the web. If anyone has any information on these things, I'd be interested.

kerelybonto

May 16, 2002 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 6
Wheatfield dissolved and Headroom bought the remainants, so you probably won't be seeing this DAC for a LONG time, if ever (whenever Headroom decides to make it).

There are other USB DACs out there, like the Stereolink, Onkyo, etc...

May 17, 2002 at 2:06 PM Post #3 of 6
Hmm, kay.

If anyone's used any of those other USB DAC/Amps, let me know how they work. Really seems like something that would be worthwhile.

kerelybonto

May 17, 2002 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 6
Is that a joke chych?
eek.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 18, 2002 at 9:31 AM Post #6 of 6
i had the pleasure of listening to the wheatfield dac in question, at THE show last year, and it sounded quite good from what i recall. wheatfield's demise is quite a shame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back