Wheatfield Audio HA-1
May 12, 2003 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Gmd

Head-Fier
Hi, I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on the Wheatfield Audio HA-1? How does this stack up against similar tube amps in its price range and also how well does it drive HD-600's? Thanks.

May 12, 2003 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 9
I think just about every amp in this price range with deliver vastly superior sonics. The Wheatfield didn't hold a candle to the Sugden Headmaster or Earmax Pro while in my posession, and I greatly prefer the lower-priced MG-Head OTL and DT as well. Hell, the Airhead proved to be a more satisfying listen. The HA-1's overwhelming leanness, honky midrange, lack of slam and dynamics, and its plasticy tone was something I couldn't live with.

May 12, 2003 at 3:10 AM Post #3 of 9
I've been looking at the MG Head OTL as well, but Headroom doesn't sell it anymore and I am having a hell of a time finding a place that sells the OTL version and not the DT

May 12, 2003 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 9
I owned an HA-1 for a while. It was OK after changing tubes. The stock tubes suck! It used a pair of tubes used in early computers. I replaced the two tubes with another type, 6900. The problem is the 6900 tube type is hard to find and is expensive, ~$75.00 a pair I think. The one stock 12AU7 JJ sounded fine. I tried a Telefunken and a Mullard not worth changing IMO.
You can do much better for $500.00.

May 12, 2003 at 12:24 PM Post #8 of 9
Look for a used MG Head OTL, which will likely include some NOS tubes since most owners of this fine amp knew how much tubes changed the sound. Also, the new MG Head OTL32 or MKII would be another option. I think the 32 is supposed to be better amp, and more expensive than the MKII, but still about the same as the Wheatfield. Your patients will be rewarded, the MG Head is wonderful with HD600's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back